[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - differences in motors

differences in motors

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby whtrthanu » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:15 pm

im getting close to buying my motors and been reading alot of info, but Im alittle confused on the blowers, what is the difference between a 2 stage motor and a single stage, which is better and what should i be looking for for 600+ cfm bench.....8 motors or 10 motors?
whtrthanu

Postby jsa » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:02 pm

The difference between 1 and 2 stage is the number of impellors.

1 stage the air goes through one impellor, 2 stage the air goes through the first impellor then the second.

Generally speaking 2 stage will develop more pressure difference than one.

Which is better depends on the goal. If higher pressure is needed then 2 stage is more likely required.

8 or 10, well that depends on how much air your selected motor moves at a certain pressure. The options are get lots of small motors or get less large motors.

You could shortcut all the unknowns by doing a bench from Bruce's designs, I'm sure he'd have some motor choices worked out that will do what you want.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby whtrthanu » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 pm

yep, thats the plan, im waiting for him to get back to me on the bigger plans....I wasnt sure if he supplied all the info for the motors , manometers, etc
whtrthanu

Postby jsa » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:55 am

I'm sure Bruce 'll look after you.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby stevenford » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:52 pm

stevenford

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:52 pm

The Ford Motor Company during the engine development testing for the 427 Ford GT-40 program developed the 427 high rise and 427 SOHC engines on a flow bench that tested at 68" of water (or 5" Hg). That is a LOT of test pressure using a very powerful suction compressor. Trying to test at 100 inches of water would be a very expensive proposition in my mind.

Good luck with your project

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby whtrthanu » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:55 pm

I didnt say anything about 100".................did i? :)
whtrthanu

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:52 pm

First off whtrthanu, I wasn't talking to you until my last sentence.

second, I made a post about the Ford Motor Company's 1960s flow bench testing and the test pressures they used.

Third, I agreed with with Stevenford that testing at 100" of water test pressure would take a lot of motors or a powerful suction device.

You have 19 posts. Make the 20th post a nice polite one, please, as the members on this board get along very well with each other. We are all trying to help each other, including you.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Return to Flowbench General