[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - flowbench orfice

flowbench orfice

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby DRAGRACER » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:11 pm

am i on the right track i have the mercdog blueprints and i am going to use the flow performance software on my bench. i was wondering on the orfice can i use just one size orfice with the flow performance and how do i arrive at the size for the orfice or do i still have to have several different size holes as in the rotating disc. thanks in advance for your help.
DRAGRACER

Postby Thomas Vaught » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:13 pm

A lot of people are getting away from the Rotating disc deal due to leakage. Some have gone to fixed orifices with stoppers to open certain ranges.

Others have gone to Pitot tube designs.

My opinion is, unless you are in an extreme hurry to build a bench tomorrow, read the previous posts on the board and also read all of the new posts and then build your bench the way YOU want it to be.

Good Luck.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:25 pm

The answer is that a single sized measurement orifice only works over a fairly limited range of flows with any sort of real accuracy. For cylinder head work, where you want to measure flow over the full range of valve lift, a single orifice is just not up to the job.

A rotating turret with multiple orifice holes is one way. Another way is multiple orifice holes with rubber stoppers. A quite different approach is the pitot flow measurement method, perhaps with some electronics.

A lot depends upon your budget, fabrication skills, and personal preferences. They all work, and can all be just as accurate, the final results will depend mainly how much care you take in building and calibrating your bench than anything else. There is no one "best" design to adopt.

As with many things, understanding, knowledge, and experience are the most important factors in building and using a flow bench.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby cspeier » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:00 am

cspeier

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:46 am

You may be right, but it is still very bad practice. A 50:1 flow range is a 2500:1 pressure range you will need to measure accurately. That is a rather tall order.

Much better to switch orifice sizes, and maintain the full resolution and accuracy from huge flow numbers right down to residual leakage.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby Jesse Lackman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:35 am

Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby larrycavan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:04 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:21 pm

Save your money buying plans, read the forum here for all your info and feel free to make a donation :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby DRAGRACER » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:53 pm

thanks guys for all your help. i already have the mercdog plans and i have been reading as many post here as i can their is some really smart people here. so if i make multiple orfice holes not a rotating disk what is the best way to access plugging them or swapping one plate to another.
DRAGRACER

Return to Flowbench General