[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - How many CFM do I need? - The math looks out of line.

How many CFM do I need? - The math looks out of line.

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:14 pm

86rocco1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:17 pm

I have been messing with these guys the last two years:

basically because one of my old college professors is well respected in that venue and ask me to come out for a few races. He was bragging me up about being a Bonneville Record Holder and all of that stuff (I just consulted on the streamliner as part of the Supercharger (Vortech) part of the Team:

So what you have for an engine in that thing Rocco?

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby 115-1172523331 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:46 pm

I tell people that Bonneville is a commitment, not to be taken lightly!

Tom - If you really wanted to "chill" 2007 wasn't the year for it as we had 117*F inside the inspection trailer more than once. Bob Higbee isn't gone, his ashes were spread at the end of a 300+ mph pass. His son-in-law, Jim Jensen, was well trained and is now the head starter. With 2 courses, we have 4 + asst.

Ed - If you go in Sept, you will see the Motorcycle only meet sponsored by BUB. World's fastest M/C last year at 350+ avg.

Try this link for the Aug and October bike and car events:

John - We had a turboed 125 Honda there last Oct. guy was from a place called "Gasoline Alley". In Aug, there was a Hansen blown Honda 50 trying to get running, but many problems.

I've heard it said that "Mother Nature is a Bit..". After a few years there, I found out she lives at Bonneville! Wouldn't miss it for the world though! If anyone gets there, look me up in M/C inspection! -- Doug

PS - We are getting off task for this forum. Should we move to Members Projects? The attached is a streamlier that aws open wheeled before a windtunnel test and redesign. Did a 197+ with a 500cc Honda. They hold the record in the high 180's but can't get Mother Nature to sleep in one day!
115-1172523331

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:49 pm

It a watercooled VW 2.0L 8 valve engine, single 2 barrel carb, it makes about 190bhp. BTW, we won the club championship this year, all of the other cars in the club, without exception, run Fords.
86rocco1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Quote:

"Tom - If you really wanted to "chill" 2007 wasn't the year for it as we had 117*F inside the inspection trailer more than once. Bob Higbee isn't gone, his ashes were spread at the end of a 300+ mph pass. His son-in-law, Jim Jensen, was well trained and is now the head starter. With 2 courses, we have 4 + asst."

I have been there several times when it was in the 115 degree range. The "Chilling" was the peace you find looking at "Floating Mountain" prior to the first fire-ups for the day's records.
When you live in the city it is never truly QUIET.

I am glad that Bob's ashes were spread at one of his favorite places and that he is still with us.

Tom Vaught

ps I think we can skip talking about flow benches for a few minutes to spread the work on Bonneville and the SCTA.
thomasvaught-1

Postby 115-1172523331 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:52 pm

Tom

Bonneville is the reason I have a flow bench! Haven't figured out how to build the dyno yet so I just use the "Great White Dyno"! And watching the sunrise over the salt is the best "chill" ever (unless you are waiting to make a record run -
:p ). Have you ever been to the World Finals in October? Later sunrise and earlier sunset, fewer cars - really a way to relax.

Doug
115-1172523331

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Doug, I have been mostly to the "Speed Weeks" events over the years. I have met "Land Speed Louise" Bruce Crower, Mike Cook, Al Teague, Banks, Dick Landy, and many others over the years. I enjoyed my conversations with Don Stringfellow, Bruce Geisler, and Bruce Crower probably the most as I was able to spend the most time with them over the events. To them I was just "The Guy from Ford.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby 49-1183904562 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Doug;

Are you thinking of comming to Maxton for testing? Your trip East! it's a half day motorcycle ride for me, let me know if you are serious as I am allways looking for an excuse.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 115-1172523331 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm

Tom, Land Speed Louise called me over to her car a few years back and introduced me to a "friend", new to Bonneville. After blabbing for a 1/2 hour, I asked what his connection was? He was the chief mechanical designer of Thrust SSC. Talk about having a foot deep in one's own mouth! But that is part of the allure of BV, anyone will talk to you, especially about their vehicles! There are very few "secrets" out here!

Rick, I am really thinking about Maxton in April! The only thing slowing me down is the 1750 miles, one way and alone! But I sure would like to see how "they" do it on the East Coast! I'll keep you in touch!

Doug
115-1172523331

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:17 pm

Quote:

"Land Speed Louise called me over to her car a few years back and introduced me to a "friend""

I was able to go to the presentation that her "friend" gave in the hotel about how they developed the SSC. He was a nice guy! I would have liked to meet Andy Green.
"Driver Andy Green, a 35-year-old Royal Air Force fighter pilot, ... Green set a world land-speed record of 714.144 mph in the Thrust SSC"

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby 115-1172523331 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Tom, We may have met! I was also in the crowd that night! (Of course, so was just about every engineer and gearhead within 100 miles!) -=- Doug
115-1172523331

Previous

Return to Flowbench General