[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Has anyone else used these motors ($5)?

Has anyone else used these motors ($5)?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby speedbug78 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:02 am

Found these motors and bought 4 of them for a bench that I'm building. Just wondered what other people's thoughts were about them. At 1.1 HP each I have a 4.4 HP bench :laugh:

Edited By bruce on 1169229900
speedbug78

Postby gofaster » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 pm

They're cheap enough, that's for sure. The amperage is less than I'd expect for a motor with adequate air watts for a flowbench. I would expect a 240v motor to draw about 5.5 amps for good air wattage. See this thread for more about motors and air watts:

Here's a link to get more info on the motors I was guided to.

Some guys were getting motors from "Surplus center" and seemed to like them.
Jim
gofaster

Postby speedbug78 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Yeah, we'll see how it turns out. I just powered them up for the first time today, and they are pretty loud. I don't have all the sides on my bench yet, so hopefully that will help a little. I was hoping they would be at least as powerful as the vaccuum cleaner motors some people have used (though they used a bunch more than 4), but meci doesn't give much for specifications.
speedbug78

Postby larrycavan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:50 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 am

I'm glad to know that the Surplus Center motors are giving you good service. I just checked the site, and they still have over 900 of them in stock @ $16.95.
I may need to get a few and try them out. I bought a 5" diesel truck muffler that I'm putting in the attic of my shop. I'll put a 5" stack straight up through the roof. I want to be able to run bikes inside without opening the big door and losing all my $$$ heat $$$, and I need to keep the noise down as my shop is directly behind Town Hall. If I don't disturb them, they won't disturb me.
My concern is that if the exhaust doesn't draw well enough, it may be necessary to put a box of blowers up there to help scavenge.
When i get a chance, I think I'll go through the old dyno posts and see if anybody addressed that.
Jim
gofaster

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:03 pm

I'd agree with that, for that application, you need high cfm but only a relatively small pressure differential, something like a furnace fits that bill.
86rocco

Postby 2seater » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Don't forget to provide some sort of make up air system for what you are pumping outside. Maybe a duct to the area of the bikes intake system or a wye into the duct going outside and the negative pressure would draw some air through to help minimize the draw from the shop.
2seater

Postby Thomas Vaught » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 pm

I would be very careful how you did any exhaust plumbing in your shop. Your life is at stake.

I spent a week in the hospital from a bit of carbon monoxide poisoning a few years ago.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby gofaster » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:56 pm

I appreciate everybody's input. I do have a furnace blower that would probably fill the bill, forgot all about it. I truly respect the danger that CO represents, and I already purchased CO monitor/alarms. My shop is a drafty old building (built in 1890) and it has lots of windows, and a man door near where the dyno will be located. If the alarms go of with suction on the exhaust, I'll add a forced air blower to pull outdoor air into the building.
Thanks to everyone!
Jim
gofaster

Return to Flowbench General