[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - velocity and tubulance

velocity and tubulance

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby bob664spd » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi I didnt know what area to ask about this so here we go. I finally put the velocity probe on and also put a string to my intake port . at 500 lift it was at 380 and 390 on the floor just in front of the short side radius and half way up it goes down to the low 200s. With the string it is straight as a arrow on the floor and the string goes crazy as you go up. What I am asking is if any one thinks I should go after this roof area and try and get the velocity evened out? I know that this huge guide needs to be taken down. Also I know it is going to be trial and error. Any Ideas?
Thanks from another new guy.
Bob
bob664spd

Postby jfholm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:45 pm

It would help if you give us what type of head it is - valve sizes - what is the flow cfm and at what lifts. Does the flow go backwards at the convergent lift? That is where the window area that the lift has created equals the square inches of intake vale area. That is usually about 1/4 if the diameter. i.e. if you have a 2.00" lift the convergent lift would be .500" whcih is equal to 1/4 of the diameter of the valve.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby 200cfm » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:48 pm

What cylinder head? Any photos of the port? Making a mold helped me a lot. Do you have a mold yet? That is a high speed for laminar flow on the floor. I don't see that number until the floor starts to roll over the "event horizon" of the SSR. (tom)
200cfm

Postby bob664spd » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:09 am

It Is a buick nailhead. The intake is a 1.87, very small . small runner also. It is seeing about 215 at the 500 lift. but it is hitting a wall at 400. It does not go backwards, it onlly gains1 ccfm or stays still after 500. I have not touched the thing with a tool yet. This runner has a slight curve to it. I am told there is very good swirl with this head.Thanks
Bob
bob664spd

Postby bob664spd » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:02 am

trying to post a picture
bob664spd

Postby bruce » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:59 am

Click "ADD REPLY"

Click "FILE ATTACHMENT" BROWSE BUTTON

Find you file on your hard drive

DO NOT PREVIEW your post just "ADD REPLY"

If you preview the post you lose the attachment, some quirk in the forum software.

If you use an image host use the IMAGE button or tag like this [ img ] your file location [ /img ] (remove the space between the [ i & g ] )
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:40 am

86rocco1

Postby bob664spd » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:18 pm

Edited By bruce on 1238960102
bob664spd

Postby jfholm » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:16 pm

You know, it seems to me that for 1.87 inch valve 215 cfm is not too shabby for an untouched port. A stock small block Chevy with 1.94 intake valves is around 202 cfm stock.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bob664spd » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:55 pm

John and everyone, I was mistaken. I had to go out and look at my notes. I went out and redone the intake . This intake has some bowl work done and ssr. I also went from a 1.87 to a 1.90 11/32 valve. I have a old head I am starting to work on and am comparing the two runners. I was surprised that at 500 I heard the sound change and the cfm went down. I am going to work on the roof and guide. The velocity that I am posting is the best # I could find on the floor just in front of the ssr area and the other # is up top in the roof area. I think I will play with this and see what happens.
lift cfm ssr area roof area
100 76 227 180
200 138 286 204
300 185 373 261
400 202 406 343
500 195 411 324
600 192 401 324
The runner was not ported, just clean the rust off
Thanks
Bob
bob664spd

Postby jfholm » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 am

Looking at the flow numbers I would say that the SSR needs to be worked on. Lay the SSR back some but don't necessarily lower it. Here is a rough drawing, the red lines are the NEW port profile and you can see what I suggest for the SSR
John
jfholm

Postby larrycavan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:33 am

I'd see if I could get some area on the tight side of the guide. Then use the string to figure out where the flow is becoming detached from the walls....

Actually wait a sec. Let's start at the start.

Get your port data first.

Throat % in relation to the valve size.
CC the port, get the centerline measurement and calculate your current Avg CSA.
Measure up your bowl and see how it relates in & to valve size.

This is just me...but I always like to have all that data aquired before I go grinding away at anything.

Once you get that sorted, then go hunting for CFM.

JMO
larrycavan
Site Admin

Return to Flowbench General