[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Test pressure tapping location

Test pressure tapping location

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby stef-1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking for your opinion on something. I've been reading through a few papers and also Prof. Blairs book on four stroke tuning and there seems to be a difference of opinion on where to make the test pressure tap. Some say it should be directly under the head in the top of the bore adaptor to get the most accurate flow numbers. The Ford and AMC papers seem to have the test pressure tap at the settling tank.
Does it make a difference to accuracy and does it make a difference to calculation of discharge coefficients for the cylinder head?
Would you see the effects of chamber modifications better with a test pressure tap in the bore adaptor?
Maybe I should have a test pressure tap in both the bore adaptor and in the orifice chamber? I want to calculate the discharge coefficients for the port as accurate as possible...
stef-1

Postby jfholm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Stef,
It seems like on this forum someplace there was a thread where someone had the pressure tap right under the cylinder adaptor. In the back of my mind he was having all sorts of trouble getting it calibrated and repeatable. My test pressure tap is in the upper outside corner like in Bruce's plans and is rock solid and repeatable.

In the far depths of this old mind I think it may have been Larry Cavanaugh helping out on that other guys problem. Larry if you check in can you remember anything on this?

Here is one thread I found that addresses this

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby jakesportingservice » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 pm

Stef

Although i'm not a expert on flowbenches and i have only built one so far i also had trouble with deciding where to put
the pressure taps. So on that i just decided to put the taps in the corners where i thought there would be minimal airflow and they would sense just pressure which to my understanding is what you want in a orifice style bench.

Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby stef-1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:42 am

I've a few searches on here trying to find larrys post. I need to try a few different search criteria I think. thomasvaught-1 gave me some advice also.
stef-1

Postby jfholm » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Stef,
here is another thread that seems to address the same issue

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Return to Flowbench General