[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - blower motors?

blower motors?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Brendan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Any one used these motors?
The price is right @ $16.95
Thanks!

Brendan

Postby 49-1183904562 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:36 pm

Brendon;

Take a look at this sheet on the Board in this thread

They will flow around 90 cfm each +- at around 35" so counting for losses 4 should give you enough to flow close to 350CFM at 28" with a 6"DP across an orifice plate.

Rick

BTW 6 of these in the PTS Flow bench would make a great bench for the money!
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 am

Rick, let me add this using 4 of the blowers you sent me in the PTS bench I'm only able to hold 23-24" at 300cfm/6DP so 350 with 4 of the Surplus Center blowers might be a tad optimistic. I have not tested any of the Surplus Center blowers in my bench but would like to at some point in the very near future as there is a lot of interest in them. (My cabinet has zero leakage) I'm running 4 of Rick's blowers (2 stage a tad smaller capacity than the Ametek 5923's) on a 220v 20amp circuit, total amp draw is around 17-18amps.

I do agree that 6 of them in my bench would make for a very nice bench at a very reasonable cost compared to a commercial flowbench going for a lot more $$$'s. You would have a seriously nice flowbench probably capable of around 300-350cfm @28" for less than $500? It would also be upgradeable at a later time to larger blowers.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Did I read right? So they only have a 1 11/16" intake opening. Don't the other motors have a 2"?
106-1194218389

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Thanks guys!
So what kind of flow would we see with 8 in a PTS bench?

Can we carry this type of power on 110 volt circuit?
Thanks again!
Brendan
Brendan

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 am

Seems there is a lot of interest in the Surplus Center blowers, as soon as I can, I'll pickup a full set of 8 to try in my bench and give everyone some feedback on what they can expect using them in a PTS bench design.

You would have to run a number of separate 110v lines, as I stated in my earlier post I'm running 4 of a smaller version of the 5923's on a 220v 20amp line. To run some testing on 6 blowers I ran 2 extra blowers off a single 110v shop wall outlet. My plan is to run a 220v 50A 6/3 line into my shop to handle the PTS flowbench.

This is a slow process for me as time and money allows me to accomplish my projects. As I sell more sets of plans I am able to keep nibbling away at these projects. I wish I had unlimited funds to throw at this process but it doesn't work that way for me sorry to say, but with everyone's help who have purchased plans or made forum donations I am able to offer the info I have found so far, which in turn will allow everyone who has purchased a set of plans and has access to the PTS Plans area to have this information in their build (Note: specific info on the plans is not discussed in the open forum area but is available in the plans area).

I do know without a doubt the plans work and work quite well as the pictures and numbers from the testing on the bench has shown. I know one of the customer built PTS benches is being used in a shop right now with water gages for actual real world testing.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks to a forum member, I now have a new set of 8 Surplus Center blowers on their way to my shop for testing in the PTS bench. Once I get them I'll get them installed and tested ASAP and report my findings . . .
bruce
Site Admin

Postby SWR » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:14 am

SWR

Postby bruce » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:42 am

bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:50 pm

I got 8 Surplus Center blowers today, I'll try and get them installed this weekend or this coming week and get some numbers on performance in the PTS bench.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:03 pm

I have another friend named Larry that lives in Kansas. He built a bench of my design about 5 years ago using 8 of the Surplus Center blowers with a breaker panel, etc, etc.

He gets very good results and can test all but the Big Chief Ported type heads with his set-up.
Probably an honest 500 cfm at 28" out of the deal.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby msj442 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 pm

well did you find anything good on the surplus center blowers bruce as i planned on these for my build. sure hope they would be a good starter motor, as im like you in the sense i have money available at special times to put into project.
thanks, max
msj442

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm hoping to get them tested this week yet. Had a few other things come-up that needed my attention first.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:53 am

Ok, got some quick numbers for you all:

4 Surplus Center blowers on my PTS Flowbench will flow 300cfm @28" using a 6" Dp. There is not a lot of "wiggle room" at 100% though using the Harbor Freight router speed control. This control knocks down the max flow of the regulated blower some. I would not have guessed they would flow so well!

They are AMP HOGS though! On my 220v 20A line feeding the blowers I was seeing peaks on startup of 20A and steady amps at 18-19.

I'll try and get some more numbers later today with additional motors running. I'm still power limited in my shop so I have to do some creative wiring (a few extension cords) to other circuits to get the rest of the blowers running.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 5.0joe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 pm

If I wanted to build a stand-alone blower box using these motors, would I be able to do suck and blow out of a box? Anyone have a basic layout schematic or drawing for a blower box setup, or another thread on the forum here that may help in building this?

Thanks,
Joe
5.0joe

Next

Return to Flowbench General