[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - blower motors?

blower motors?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby SWR » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:40 pm

SWR

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:53 pm

The module systems works very well. I did a similar deal of a 12 motor bench but with three modules of 4 motors each with draw or suck on each module. a very easy 800 CFM + high test pressure set-up using the 923 motors.

Bruce is supposed to be working with me on a 12 motor high capacity bench design when he gets his current bench plan deal optimized.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby Brendan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:03 pm

So should I go for the 8 Surplus motors for my PTS bench or spend the extra money on the Ametek 115923's?
Power is no problem in my building.
Thanks!
Brendan

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:30 pm

If you have the extra money some might assume that I would say buy the more efficient 115923 (2 stage) motors. You can buy several Surplus City Motors for the cost of one 115923 motor. If you have the power in your building two banks of Surplus City motors (8 motors in a bank) will give you the same number of motors as a SF1200 bench. I have checked the actual flow on one of those sf 1200 benches with all of the motors full out, using a 4 hole orifice plate 100, 200, 400, 600 cfm) vs the normal 3 hole plate (200, 400, 600 cfm) and read over 1300 cfm at 5" of water.

If I built a bench today where I had access to unlimited motor power it would be with the additional motors mentioned above. You could do carb work, head work, and other tasks on very large engines 540 cid+.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby 106-1194218389 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:40 pm

106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:50 pm

If I recall peak running was 18-19 amps for 4 motors on the 220 line. I think if you'd start all 4 at the same time you might have a breaker issue. I can get numbers again in the next day or two if need be.

I have not had time lately to get on the PTS bench build here in my shop. Trying to juggle a few things and keep up with the flowbench parts orders.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:01 pm

Thanks Bruce that info is plenty good. I think my 220 is on a 30 amp breaker.

John
106-1194218389

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:09 am

I have been trying to get it straight in my head just how much better one of the vacuum motors we are talking about using is compared to a Shop Vacuum. If anybody is interested here is what I have found:
These specs are from Sho-Vac web site. I have a Craftsman 6.5 and 4.5 HP shop vacs but feel these specs should be close.
Shop-Vac:
Quiet Deluxe Series Performance Specifications
Peak Horsepower 3.0 3.5 4.0 5.0 6.5
(CFM) of Air Flow 143 145 173 176 185
Sealed Pressure
(in inches) 57 58 59 61 64
Peak Air Watts 240 245 310 330 355
Amps 7 7.1 7.9 8.6 9.3

Here is the Domel I am looking at:
Peak Horsepower ???
CFM of Air Flow 144
Sealed pressure
inches of water 116.9
Peak Air Watts 1685
Amps 14.35

What I see in the comparison is the shop vac's just will not perform up to what these other vacuum motors will. If I got 4 of these other motors they should be way above and beyond what I am using now. What do you guys think? Looking at the thread with the spreadsheets on the Surplus Center motors four should really work good for what I want to do.

John
106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:07 am

I'm finishing the wiring on my PTS bench build right now so I can't get any amp numbers for you, but . . . 4 Surplus Center motors in my bench design will flow 300cfm @28" using a 6" Dp orifice plate. I was able to use a 220v 20amp line with one blower being used with a Harbor Freight router control for speed regulation.

I don't think you can get a much lower cost per CFM than that for a DIY bench. One thing you also want to consider is how much you plan to use your bench. Shaft bearings verses bushing? For an all out professional quality bench I'd go with the Ametek 5923's.

Rick Z (1600fh on the forum) has some motors a tad smaller in capacity than the Ameteks he is selling. I have four of them I was playing with before the Surplus Center blowers showed up for me to try out. When my bench build is all said and done I'll have 8 of those installed, if my bench is "ever really finished"
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:03 pm

I have an auction on ebay right now that will give me enough money to buy the higher cost motors. It looks like I am going to be using the heck out of it as I already have three sets of heads lined up, but want to wait until I can test at 28" at least. I will probably buy the Domel's I listed as they are German motors. I was able to document that. They have a two year warranty and are the double ball bearings. The really do have a good rating from everything I could see. I was just going to buy the Surplus Center ones until this money has come along. I really appreciate your input Bruce - that information let's me know that for right now I can get by with 4 motors. Once I get it set up I will let everybody know how they work.

Thanks,
John
106-1194218389

Postby jsa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:42 am

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby 86rocco1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:42 am

86rocco1

Postby jsa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:22 am

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby 106-1194218389 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. That is why I put it here because I don't really know. They are 120 volt motors if that helps.
106-1194218389

Postby 86rocco1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:05 pm

If they're 120V motors, that makes the air watts number even more suspect considering the power consumption of the motors is 1722 Watts, 1685 air watts would make them 98% efficient in converting electricity to air movement, that's unrealistically high.
86rocco1

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench General