[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - all motors run while testing - switch each motor on as needed

all motors run while testing - switch each motor on as needed

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 am

hello i have been doing alot of reading as everybody has. my question is, the idea of having switches for sets of motors is so you can switch on as needed to get to 28" or what? i used a sf600 for about 7 yrs and unfortunately never really paid attention to what was inside(wished i did) but does the sf600 run all motors all the time or what.
msj442

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:27 am

The SF600 bench runs all (8) 115923 Ametek motors at the same time.

The bench uses a motor controller hooked up to a basic digital read-out "Flow-Com" as you probably know.

It would be easy to rewire the bench to do what you are asking except that you would have to cut the bench apart to get to the motors. It is
glued together. PIB!!

If you do not own the bench, much better to build your own using Bruce's plans where you can do the wiring you are asking about AND can service the motors if necessary.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:34 am

If you don't run all of the motors at the same time, it's a very good idea to put check valves on the motors. That prevents the inactive motors from leaking pressure/vacuum and spinning backwards.
86rocco1

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:12 pm

ok well i think i understand what you are saying but i guess i am still kindof still in question as to the reason for switching the motors on as needed. pros and cons. i do not own the bench which is why im wondering because i do plan on building my own. thats why i was curious to know why i should make all motors run at same time or why i shouldnt.
msj442

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:24 pm

also are these the relays that most of you guys are using? or where could i get them and is brand and part number? i was looking at these on ebay.
msj442

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 pm

All motors on
Pros: simpler to operate, simpler to wire, no need for check valves
Cons: uses more power than necessary, greater wear on motors, poorer cooling of motors at low flow rates

Individually switched
Pros: more energy efficient, longer motor life, better motor cooling at low flow rates, better control of air flow especially at low flow rates.
Cons: more complicated to operate and wire, requires check valves.

These lists are by no means exhaustive, I'm sure others here could add to them.
86rocco1

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:41 pm

well thanks for replying anyway i appreciate it. im quite sure the check valves are of simpe design but could you maybe give me an idea of what is the norm i guess you could say. like material and such im not totally a moron, lol ,but if i can see a pic it says a thousand words for me. then i say duh i can do that .
msj442

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:42 pm

sorry for all the misspelled words my 6 yr old helped me with it lmao
msj442

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:48 pm

Use the search function and type check and valve. Make sure in your search you select all open forums and check "older posts" at the bottom. You'll find more than enough readings material to keep you busy for awhile.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Jesse Lackman1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:49 pm

Jesse Lackman
Jesse Lackman1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:16 pm

If you go to my wiring schematic in the Spreadsheet part of the forum, the relay part number I use is listed on the drawing.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby 106-1194218389 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Tom,

I have been meaning to ask you about your schematic. I really like it and appreciate it. You show one wire from each relay going to one bank switch. Then from the other side of the switch you would go to the breaker in your sub box and the white to the neutral bar in the sub box? Also I think I understand the black and red wires, red is one side of the 220 volt for 110v and black is the other side of the 220v for the other side 110v. Am I following ok there?

John
106-1194218389

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:03 am

On the previous post I need to clarify. I was looking at my 220v wiring and it is only the three wire wiring, a red, black and white and no green ground and that goes to my dryer. I will probably have to figure out something else as I want to do the 4 wire. I will move this to the Blower Wiring thread
106-1194218389

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:56 pm

You have Dryer wiring (220 single phase - no ground)

My diagram is for 4 wire single phase 110 using both sides of a 220
single phase distribution box.

With my wiring one circuit goes black wire through a motor to a neutral white wire then back to the box. A second circuit goes red wire through a motor to a neutral white wire then back to the box. TWO 110 CIRCUITS. AND WITH A GREEN WIRE AS A GROUND. My motor will never see 220 power.

Your deal is 220 across the black wire and red wire and the third wire works somewhat like a ground. I am not an electrician so I will leave the formal stuff for someone else.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby larrycavan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:16 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Flowbench General