Flow Data Flow Bench - Got to try a Flow Data bench

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby DaveMcLain » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:55 am

My friend Bobby Oliver at Competition Carburetion recently purchased a new Flow Data bench for his shop. He bought the bench with the electronics for data recording and depression control and I had the opportunity to help him get it set up and working when I visited him a few weeks ago.

I was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship on the bench it's a powerful son of a gun too. Flow Data uses the LFE Laminar Flow Element from Miriam Instruments to measure airflow and I found that to be quite interesting. With the electronics there to do any needed correction it worked great. Those things must use filtered air and inside of the bench right under the hole where the air enters the top was a very large filter element which is probably not a bad idea on any flow bench being built from scratch.

I'm not sure what is used for motors but this thing never strains at all pulling 40.6 inches of depression when testing a 2 barrel or 20.3 on a 4 barrel.

This bench had a lot of good ideas and it would be worthwhile for the home builder to check one out if they get a chance.

Here's Bobby doing some experimenting with a two barrel carburetor. He's since placed the computer screen up high over on the right side of the bench for easy viewing.

DaveMcLain

Postby Shawn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:55 pm

Those benches are the epitome of quality. If i could have afforded to have Rick build the one that I need, I would have went that direction. Anything that Warren Johnson uses automatically get's my stamp of approval.
shawn
Shawn

Return to Flowbench General