[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Clairfy Motor Mounting

Clairfy Motor Mounting

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby cspeier » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm getting ready to mount my new motors. My plan is to mount 4 on one switch, then two on another, and again two on another. The 4 motors that are on seperate switches, I'm going to put a flapper valve on. I'm going to use the 6" PVC idea. My question:

The motors have mounting holes in the plastic. I'm thinking of putting the motor thru the hole and secure it with the taps on the motors. Will this in any way cause a problem as far as pulling the air? I've always just glued the face to the board with some sort of bar support. This would be so much easier considering the motors are twice as big.

Thanks Guys!!

Chad
cspeier

Postby Thomas Vaught » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:09 pm

The original Car Craft Article had the motors mounted that way. I have mounted the motors that way too in a couple of applications. With a double door arrangement that many are using there will be no issues with being able to remove the motor if it goes bad. There will be no airflow issues.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby cspeier » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:34 am

FYI.. If you have a 2-stage type Ametek motor. This is a 116978-07 to be exact, YOU CANNOT MOUNT the motor thru a hole. The exhaust and the intake are on the same side of the motor! The motor exhaust thru louvers on the motor just below the housing. So basically the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the board :angry:
cspeier

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:55 pm

The 115923 Ametec motors (SF type) are two stage motors and will allow the thru mounting.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby larrycavan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:46 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby cspeier » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:09 pm

I'll get a pic Larry

What's the difference between a thru flow and bypass motor? Any help would be appreciated.
cspeier

Postby Jesse Lackman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:27 pm

Yours are bypass, the flow bypasses the motor. The motor has separate cooling air flow.

A "flow through" flows all the air through the motor.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby 86rocco » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:29 pm

With a thru flow motor, the air is drawn into the motor and is blown out the back of the motor so that it can cool the electrical parts of the motor, most normal household vacuum cleaners use that type of motor.

With a bypass motor, the air is drawn into the blower and out the side of the blower housing a separate fan is used to provide the cooling air for the motor, a typical application for this type of motor is a wet/dry vacuum cleaner where the working air should not come in contact electrical parts of the motor.

Because a separate fan is used to cool the motor, the airflow can be severely throttled back without overheating the motor so, a bypass motor is also suited for a flowbench, like the original MSD bench, in which the airflow is controlled by restricting the air flow.
86rocco

Postby cspeier » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:51 pm

cspeier

Postby larrycavan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:15 pm

Now I see what you have...description threw me off.

Your original motors were mounted on the opposite side of the wall than I have mine. If you now have Pheripheral Discharge Motors, move them to the other side of the plenum divider...they'll be fine.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:04 pm

86rocco

Return to Flowbench General