The original MSD bench?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby cspeier » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Anyone know what ever happened to the famous MSD bench? Seems it was kind of the daddy to all our madness. Just curious.

Another thing, anyone ever sold a custom built bench on ebay or someplace else? Is it worth the effort, will they bring anyhing? Just curious again..

Chad
cspeier

Postby 86rocco » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:43 pm

A follow-up to that original article would be great. I'd be interesting to find out what happened to that thing. As is well documented on these forums, there were a number of design flaws with that bench, I'd like to know how the original builders felt about it's performance after they'd had a chance to use it for a while. Did they make any significant modifications to it after that famous article was published? Have they build any others since? If so, what changes if any did they make? That sort of thing.
86rocco

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:16 pm

That original bench design was a rather heroic effort, and it has created a huge amount of interest ever since. But as you say, that design has some very basic inherent problems. But whoever built it, still deserves a lot of credit and full recognition.

There are some rather clever people right here on this forum that have pushed the art and science of home flow bench construction way beyond that originally used in the MSD design. And that is all due to the efforts of Bruce in creating this Forum.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby larrycavan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:32 pm

I spoke to the real inventor on the phone many years ago when I first built mine and it didn't read correctly. John Clark at MSD. He let me in on some things that were NOT in the article. Just little things like "yea well I took a grinder to that range to get it to actually flow that amount....The article was a good starting point and it's John Clark at MSD that really deserves the credit for the bench. Anyone know if he's still with MSD?
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby DRAGRACER » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:58 am

a few months ago on sunday morning a tv show was at msd doing a show and in the corner of the screen i thought i could see about half of a flow bench looked like the one in the car craft article. would be interesting to know if the bench was still there
DRAGRACER

Return to Flowbench General