[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Cheap Vac Motors....

Cheap Vac Motors....

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby blownalcohol » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi All,

In my search for vac motors for my bench I came across some on ebay that are not what I need, but thought someone else might be able to use them. The guy that has them is about 15 miles from me, so I called him to get the scoop. He has (95) ametek motors #053-3420-20. He bought them as unclaimed freight at an auction and says they're all brand new in one compartmentalized box, but he has no idea what they fit. You can find them in ebay stores by searching for ametek. His description says something about "95 ametek motors" and he has a buy it now of $250 for all 95...that's roughly $2.60 per motor.....

I contacted ametek and got in touch with a guy who looked them up by number and emailed me the specs....I've got an attachment below... He said it was the same motor...eventhough the last 2 digits were different.

His listing says pick-up only, but I think he really wants them to go away, so it might be worth asking if he would ship some.

These may not work for anyone, but thought I would post them just in case. :cool:

here's a link to ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/One-lot-of-95-new-A ... 6970QQrdZ1
QQcmdZViewItem
Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby 115-1170124124 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:29 pm

I just got off of eBay and the price has been dropped by 15% (now $211.65) for the whole lot. Wish I knew more about how these would work for my 100cfm (max) needs!

Doug
115-1170124124

Postby 2seater » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 pm

It looks like two of them would work fine for up to about 42" and 100 cfm. That puts them right around the maximum efficiency. They aren't particularly efficient overall, but the price is certainly right. I would install three or four so you can have some extra headroom, room for growth and the ability to switch different motors on and off to increase the service life. They are a standard diameter so they could be switched out to a different style in the future if desired.
2seater

Postby 115-1170124124 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:36 pm

What I was wondering is concerning the "orifice dia" associated with the performance. If I am running a 2" dia flow element, do I need to factor in the flow area (3.14sq in for a 2in D vs 0.44 sq in for the .75in D)? That would say 7 needed for 42in depression and 46cfm, or 6 for 27in dep and 66cfm. To get my 100cfm then I would need 9 for 27 in or 14 for 42? Do those calcs make sense? -- Doug
115-1170124124

Postby 200cfm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:29 pm

The motor picture looks very similiar to two of the up right floor Hoover vacuum cleaner motors I used recently in my DIY bench. Seating them on the motor board required a portion of the circle to be square cut. My motors came out with three wires. White (netural), black (hot) and a yellow (?).
I tied off the yellow wire. Max amps on them was 12A and the cleaner had one of those "1 hp peak" stickers on it which looks close to the watts rating on the chart. Wonder if it is the same style motor? Anyway, I like the install on the motor board because it did not require removal of the brush holders to clear the entry holes.
200cfm

Postby 2seater » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:32 pm

Hopefully some perhaps more expert people will chime in, but as far as i can tell from the figures, the orifice mentioned is the restriction used to create the vacuum and flow rating. Your flow restriction will be the port you are pulling or pushing through, not the measuring element. I am guessing you are using a pitot flow tube. JMO but a 2" diameter seems to large for 100 cfm? 100 cfm through a 1.5" flow tube is only around 4" of vertical lift on a manometer. Lower flows or a larger diameter tube will be further down the scale, like at lower valve lifts? Digital measuring equipment is more forgiving and seems to cover a wider range where resolution of a water manometer becomes unreliable. If this is an orifice application, it is outside of my experience.
2seater

Postby 115-1170124124 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:06 am

2seater - I am just building my first bench and am using a 2 inch FE because a friend loaned me his FlowQuik with a 2 inch FE. Check out "Another Newbie ..." post in this forum. I run a 100cc Honda which has a 26mm intake and 13mm MAX lift so if the Perf Orifice is related to that, I'm in business! Right now, my 5HP Home Depot vac draws an "actual" cfm of 69.8 at 20.8 in WC (based on the calibration element value of 80.9 at 28 in WC). Max flow through the valve has been 66cfm. I wanted to get some good data before I started "messing" with the porting. I think right now, I should just finish the bench and use it a while before I start changing it, but it is hard to NOT apply all the good info here. Thanks for the help!

Doug (slracer)
115-1170124124

Postby 1960flh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 am

Doug;

Where are you located? I have 1976 CL125 all stock (not pristine) i would love to find a home for.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby 115-1170124124 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Hi Rick, I'm in Alto, NM (about 60 miles west of Roswell). The Honda I run is the old "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" 1964 Touring 90 model. Yeah, it's got a HEMI in it! With a 3 mm overbore, it's 52B X 46S, big cam, special valves (from a CBR600F4i), etc. Great little engine, and I'm having a lot of fun for not too much money! Let's talk about the 125, but I'm leaving on a 3 week vacation trying to get out of all this snow! Only about 3 feet since New Years Day, but that's enough for now. (Right now I am waiting for the roads to clear enough from last night's snow so that I can leave!) I will have occasional internet access, so drop a line.

td_tickford@yahoo.com (or here) -- Doug

PS - Are you the guy that bought the motors on eBay? (That ties this in with this thread!) The eBay id was 1960(something)?
115-1170124124

Postby 1960flh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:59 pm

Doug;

Yes I bought the motors I did not want to see them go to waste without the members of the Board having Access to them.

Have a great Vacation and keep in touch abot the Honda.

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby 2seater » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:02 pm

2seater

Return to Flowbench General