[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - particle board - 5/8 particle board or???

particle board - 5/8 particle board or???

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby raceman408 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:40 pm

hi, just getting started on a msd style bench, i want to use particle board to build it with but the area i live in i can only find 5/8 particle board. will this stand up to 450cfm @ 28", if not could anyone give me some ideas on what to use in place of it. thanks for your help
raceman408

Postby Mousehouse1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:07 pm

I don't know if it will hold up or not. I would try to find something that is at least 3/4" thick.

After taking my bench apart a couple of times I would use something different the particle board.

Also make the back of your bench removable. It will save you a lot of headache in the future. Trust me on that one.
Mousehouse1

Postby Unkl Ian » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:38 pm

You can laminate it if you have to.
Plywood would be stronger,for a given thickness.
Unkl Ian

Postby larrycavan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:05 pm

With regard to the back panel of the bench, I would suggest that you frame around the inside with 2x2 pine or something of that nature. Make sure it's flush with the edges. That will give you something solid to screw the back panel too and provides some additional support.

I would also go down at least one side of the divider board on at least one side with 2x2 as well. The felt weather stip material common in most hardware stores makes a good seal. Don't silicone the rear panel.

If you add the Superflow type top section with a steel or aluminum top plate, use the felt material or rubber to seal that as well.

With the top and back removable, it makes everything so much easier to access later for maintenence or changes.

JMO
Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Jesse Lackman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm using 3/4 medium density fiberboard, it's the stuff that feels like it weighs about 100lbs per 4x8 sheet.

Lots heavier than 3/4 plywood.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby larrycavan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:13 am

3/4" medium density fiberboard is plenty strong...it's just not well suited to disassembly and reassembly using screws.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:59 am

I'm using Baltic Plywood. It is 12 ply with no "voids". Very strong stuff! Only 3 things wrong with it, weighs a ton, only comes in 5' X 5' sheets, and it is expensive.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Unkl Ian » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:52 pm

Unkl Ian

Return to Flowbench General