[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Wet Flowing carburetors

Wet Flowing carburetors

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby AEDCarburetors » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:36 am

hi guys ..... anyone have any experience building a wet flow bench for carburetors.... any info would be appreciated
AEDCarburetors

Postby CFM headman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:21 am

me too i would like to get some info on how to build one or where to get one
Dave
CFM induction
Scottsbluff, Nebraska
CFM headman

Postby Tech @ BG » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:20 pm

We use two 60 HP electric motors to produce the vacuum, the have metered orifice to create different CFM ratings.
Tech @ BG

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 pm

TECH @ BG,

You doing ok on the 6 shooter for the traditional Pontiac?

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Tech @ BG » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:22 pm

Tech @ BG

Postby maxracesoftware » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:37 pm

maxracesoftware

Postby Tech @ BG » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:08 am

Tech @ BG

Postby fchp » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:14 pm

AED, if you found any info in building your bench.... would you mind sharing it?? I'm looking to do the same right now.

Thanks!
fchp

Postby fchp » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:44 am

I am going to try and start on this in the next week or 2. Got a few questions. I have built orifice & pitot tube benches before so I have that covered. One thing I'm wondering though is, I'm thinking you need measure the airflow of the carb UPSTREAM before you get any fluid introduced into the system. If I'm what I'm thinking is right, introducing fluid into the airstream is going to effect the airflow numbers. So to get a true air/fuel ratio number, the amount of air passing through the carb needs to be measured BEFORE it goes through the carb and then measure the amount of fluid passing through the carb to get the proper measurements.

Am I headed down the right path on that??

Also, on our float carbs we have a pilot jet & main jet. I'm thinking of doing a system that can flow each side seperate and also together to get a complete look at the fuel system. Anyone else done or tried this?
fchp

Postby bruce » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:55 am

How do you intend to measure fuel flow?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby fchp » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Not sure yet, I'm going to sit down sometime tomorrow and draw it all up (if I get time).

I'm thinking of either two ways. #1, measure the amount of fluid it pulls from a graduated cylinder over a set amount of time, or #2 see if I can find fluid flow meters small enough to do the amount of fuel flow for me.

Either way, I figured as long as you know what the air flow is and you know what the fuel flow is, by a few strokes of the keyboard in a spreadsheet you could calculate it all back to AFR.
fchp

Postby Tech @ BG » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:33 pm

I know this is an old thread, but here's a link to a quick video from our bench:

Tech @ BG

Postby DAveK » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:21 pm

One way to measure fuel flow without taking the carb apart is similar to how I have to do fuel injection when I can't get a sensor where I need to.

Use 2 flow sensors and a full bypass fuel system. 1 sensor is placed between the pump and the carb. The other is placed on the return line back to the tank. Subtract B from A to get net fuel through the carb. Your logger will need a custom math channel capability to pull it off without doing manual calculation.

You could even take it a step further with a sensor on each bowl and 1 on the return. Subtract B & C from A.

Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
www.koehlerinjection.com

"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
DAveK

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Years ago when I worked for Holley Carbutetor (-29 Years from today)
Holley had two ways to read wet air flow.

1) Using an "Air Box":

A sliding drum with a known volume supplied air to a bench that had a explosion proof cover you could see through. The carb was mounted to the bench. A test was run for 1 minute (timed). At the end of the minute the volume in the sliding drum was measured (known volume and pressure before the test and after). Fuel was measured with a fuel flow meter. Measured air and fuel gave an Air fuel ratio. Fuel that passed through the carb was collected using a centrifuge device. The fuel was Stoddard's Solvent.

2) Second system was using pumps (I assume like BG) with the pumps pulling the air through them (negative pressure). Pumps need to be isolated from the air flow path. Stoddard Solvent should be used. A collection device for the fuel needs to be constructed.

In the first case you just need a air compressure to pump up the sliding cylinders. Not too much power or space is required. In the second case you need large HP motors, more space, and lots of electrical power.

In both cases you need good instrumentation.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby rab » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Has any one got any ideas on what I would need to wet flow motorcycle type carburettors
rab

Next

Return to Flowbench General