[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - FP vs. Performance Trends EZ-Flow

FP vs. Performance Trends EZ-Flow

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby DavidNJ » Mon May 01, 2006 9:53 am

Previous discussions on this where inconclusive. I would like to start with listing the similarities and differences as I see them.

Similarities

Both are fully electronic.
Both include/have available an adapter plate for different cylinder heads.
Both have a computer interface

Differences

FP has an optional valve to automatically control the pressure
PT can read velocity and flow concurrently
PT has software that records a velcity profile and graphically displays it. It stores and organizes the profile by lift, cylinder, and head.
FP offers a variety of cylinder bore adapters. PT uses a bore adapter of other sizes.
PTs standard bore is pre-drilled for Ford and Chevy (however it is 4.03 at time when 4.155 is more common).
PTs bore adapter doesn't recommend drilling Chevy holes for adjoining cylinders. (How does that work for the end cylinders anyway?)
PT offers orifices in more different sizes: 3.0, 2.5, 1.875, 1.5 and 1.0 inches. FP has 3.0 and 2.5 inches.
PT black box can be used with other PT systems, if PT knows at the time of the order. Minimal cost savings.

Prices are similar. EZ-Flow base kit: software, black box, bore adapter, orfice, and some .125" tubing is $899. Some of the harder to find PVC pieces will add maybe $100. Bore adapter is $250. Upgrade to Pro software $200.

FP is sold a la carte. Control unit $499, tube with orifice $199, software $99, benc receptacle $299, bore adapters $99. Flow pressure management valve $299.

Pictures:
Mouse FP system:
Image Image

PT EZ-Flow System and System Drawing
Image Image

Port Analyzer Pro Velocity Map
DavidNJ

Postby cspeier » Mon May 01, 2006 10:32 am

[color=#000000]FP reads velocity and flow. FP has software to plot curves. The biggest selling point, The owner of FP is regurlary on this site. John will go above and beyond the call of duty. Have you ever played with the PT flow analyzer? IMO, it's WAY to complicated. WAY to confusing, and most important WAY overpriced! You can get everything you need from Larry for $30!!!! As far as test bore sized, again IMO it's overrated! Brzezinski, who makes cylinder fixtures even says so. I've never found anything major in going from one size to another. It's your money, but my money is going with the FP. Want some good reading, check out what Brzezinski says about fixtures. REMEMBER he sells them, hi-dollar to be exact:

How much does the bore size matter when flow testing?

It would be in our best interest to say that you need several different bore sizes to accurately flow test, let
cspeier

Postby DavidNJ » Mon May 01, 2006 1:08 pm

Who is the 'our' and 'we' in your post?

Kevin at PT is readily available and quite helpful. However, ProFlow and EZ-Flow are only two of a wide range of products he builds. His web site has a full set of manuals and demo software downloads. It also has a full set of contact info including phone number.

We disagree the complexity ProFlow. It is similar to the PT software. Maybe no the best UI, but certainly acceptable. In the screen shots, FPcom doesn't seem to have the same rigor to manage things like port velocity would could have 60+ readings for a single port.

I've seen that Brzezinski page. However, many cylinder heads for larger bores use valves sizes that won't clear smaller bores. And if you used a larger bore for everything, it wouldn't fit the locators for smaller bore heads.

However, many people have build nice benches with FlowPerformance. However, someone must have used Performance Trends?
DavidNJ

Postby cspeier » Mon May 01, 2006 2:29 pm

The "our" and "we" is from the Brezinski web site.

As far as "comlexity" if you've used ProFlow and find it user friendly, that's great! I personally feel I wasted my money. I also think your not giving the FPexcel enough credit. Check out Larry Meaux site to see the screen shots. . For the money, you cannot even compare the two!

As far as flowing heads, what do you normally flow? Motorcycle? Car?

I'm not debating Kevin isn't a good guy. I'm saying I've used both and my money is with the FP. I'm also saying that the ProFlow software is WAY overpriced!

Another thing, 60 plus port readings? Who does this? It's not that diffucult. 9 readings and 3 different locations is all I have ever used. Many Professionals I know do the same.

You asked about the two. I've used both. I'm giving you MY opinion. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad. However, I'll never tell you how to spend your money.

Chad
cspeier

Postby riga team » Mon May 01, 2006 3:35 pm

I already asked a similar question in occasion of FP1 and Audietech: they even it is more similar. Let's then compare all: both and Performance Trends EZ-Flow there much from superflow: chooses everyone to itself: Anatolij
riga team

Postby larrycavan » Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycoyle » Mon May 01, 2006 10:29 pm

It seems as though it all comes down to personal preferences. While I use a commercial SF600 bench, I adapted the PT Black Box and their PFAPro Software to it. At first it was a little awkward but after using it a little bit, it gets to be second nature. I particulary like the optional foot switch so I don't have to use the keyboard at all after everything is setup. It really cut down the amount of time to test and increased the accuracy so much that I don't know how anyone does this without DAQ. Anothe thing I really like is if I think I have the manometer set to 28" and it isn't, the software automatically records the actual reading and compensates for it. I know I am going to have to do something pretty soon (bigger bench) because a lot of what I do is pushing the limits of this bench if I want to keep the pressure up.

This topic reminds me of one of my favorite sayings. "That is the reason they make Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry." Just one person's preference.

Larry
larrycoyle

Postby larrycavan » Tue May 02, 2006 12:19 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Tue May 02, 2006 12:29 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby DavidNJ » Tue May 02, 2006 11:49 pm

When you add up the pieces they are within a couple of hundred of each other. I double checked the Port Flow Analyzer and it only records 9 point profile at two lifts or a single point at all lifts. I though it my be nice to make a multipoint profile at different points in the port.

The nice features of PT are the concurrent use of pitot tube and overall port flow and the integration of the Port Flow Analyzer. The big advantage of the FP product is the valve to control test pressure. The Audie FlowQuik seems to be in the same vein, but offering fewer features than either.

Being a circle track racer, enthusiast, and mechanical engineer (by education at least), my interests are a little different than a pro engine builder/machinest. I would like to test various things that may be used on the engine, and getting a better understanding of what's happening. Similarly with a variety of street heads: SBF, Honda, Supra, GM LS. The port velocity readings are part of that understanding. I really want a full set of readings for every head I use. On the late model stock car, there are somethings I would like to test. On the SBF I would love to get a better understanding of CHI vs. TF vs. AFR.

My concern with PT is that I haven't found anyone using it (other than the software). Also it doesn't have an automatic depression control. My concern with FP is that lack of what I would like in a software package, inability to use the pitot with flow measurements, and use of a valve without a motor control on depression (don't you need to slow or reduce the number of the motors to control depression?).

Thanks for all your responses,

David
DavidNJ

Postby cspeier » Wed May 03, 2006 12:23 am

cspeier

Postby Griffin » Thu May 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Is there a website for the FP products?
Griffin

Postby Griffin » Thu May 18, 2006 6:30 pm

Never mind - found it cleverly disguised in a website with its own name!

<----- Genious

:D
Griffin

Postby larrycavan » Sat May 20, 2006 9:28 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Griffin » Sat May 20, 2006 5:51 pm

I will - thanks!
Griffin

Next

Return to Flowbench General