[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Flow Bench Plans

Flow Bench Plans

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby bruce » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:43 am

Well after years of thinking about this I've finally decided (more like nudged by forum members) to make a set of plans using the info found here on the forum tested and tried by other forum members and offer them forsale to help support the forum and keep it free of ads or memberships.

The plans will be based on an orifice style bench using my flow plates it will offer reverse flow for intake or exhaust testing by flipping the plate. Ranges can be changed with different size plates. It will be a mid-range professional looking bench. Flow depression will be via electric motor control, gages will be digital based (you have to buy a flow computer of your choice) or you can design your own manometers from the info on the forum, I'm not supplying that in the plans at this time.

The "foot-print" of the bench will be 36"w x 25"d x 40"h, will have 2-8 blower motors depending on your flow needs, budget and power. The bench can be scaled up, if size is not an issue or for that matter scaled down to suit. The plans will be fully supported here on the forum to anyone who purchases the plans and registers them.

At this time I am still working on the drawings, parts list, pricing and I'd like to build one first before offering the plans forsale. This bench can be built on a budget by scrounging for parts or buying all new with a cost of less than $1000.

What it won't be is a shop vac flowbench or MSD knock-off! It will be comparable in design to a good quality commercially produced flowbench selling for $$$$ with the reputation of the flowbench forum to back it up . . .

I'll keep the forum updated on a release date, I'd like to get it out in the next month so those wanting to build something this Winter have something to do :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Here is a sneak peek of what the bench will/should look like when complete:
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:49 pm

IMO anyone looking to build a bench will be well served by the plans Bruce has come up with. It's a nice layout, easy to understand blueprint, clear instructions and leaves the builder all the lattitude they'd want for modifying the design.

Great Job Bruce!

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:00 am

I am sure this new bench that Bruce has designed, will very rapidly become the "standard" design of flow bench for home construction world wide.

It is both clever and simple, and it reflects the great amount of thought and experience that has gone into developing it.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby bruce » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:20 pm

bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:05 pm

Thought I'd add another pic showing the bench can be built in a traditional style also by adding a back panel and overhead light area.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby ThomasVaught » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 pm

I think it would still be worth the money to purchase Bruce's plans as the cost would be small compared to the overall benefits with the newer/ much better designs he offers.

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Postby larrycavan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:56 pm

I feel the need to say a few words on the business aspect, product supplier relationships and such......

First - Not all things fall into place overnight. That's very, very, very important to understand.

Second - Sometimes, things you'd like to see happen, just plain don't happen at all. That's very, very, very important to accept.

Third - It's not important if no other vendor / supplier get's onboard at all with this particular venture. That's essencitally he beauty of it. It's not a "down side".

The bench is the bench and only the bench. The guages are the guages and only the guages. Look what that buys you in reality.

Anyone can go in any direction they so choose when it comes to the measuring system.....

All the known good electronic setups have been well tested with documented results on all kinds of benches. They'll work on whatever you pretty much choose to build. They are not bench dependent any more than bruces plans are guage dependent.

Now I know where Bruce is coming from because we talk on the phone all the time. There are certain things he'd like to see happen as well as myself but NOT ONE of them will affect the bench plans in any way, shape of form.

The FP1 is an excellent product. It's earned it's reputation here on this forum because of one simple reason. IT WORKS. I have not tried any of the other setups but I've read enough to know that buyers / users of them feel the same way I/we do about the FP1.....

In time, the same sort of positive reviews will be posted about Bruces plans.

So the bench builder has a huge advantage when it comes to selecting the options for the bench. Truly, you cannot go wrong with any..

Larry C

Edited By larrycavan on 1196978404
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:45 pm

I have purchased Bruce's plans and they are great. Thanks to all of you. I am planning to build one to use water gauges and the electronics. I already have a FlowQuik and the Performance Trends "Black Box" and I will be trying to incorporate them. I really like the PT Port FLow Analyzer software. I really like having a redundant system just in case one goes wacko and also for comparison. I really am excited as this forum has really made this easy.

Thanks All,
John
106-1194218389

Postby Darkspeed » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Just ordered a set of plans from Bruce. So a bench is to be built in the UK in the New year. :D :cool:

Just got to get a few no longer needed parts on e-bay to raise the necessary capital for the flow electronics.

Cheers

Andrew
Darkspeed

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:10 pm

He is a little "teaser pic" of the one I'm building right now to the plans.

I still have to add the front access doors and all the internal working parts ie motors, wiring etc.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

A general forum update on the flowbench plans

I had the opportunity this afternoon/evening to work in a shop that is building a PTS bench and asked for assistance in setting up water gages. We were flowing 300cfm @28" with 6 mix-matched blowers running. The water gages worked like a champ and I'm happy to say I'll be adding this info to the plans in the near future!

I'll also like to add this bench was built for less than $500 with scrounging for parts keeping the costs down.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:23 pm

hey whats up bruce.
my brain hurts AGAIN. there is so much info on here i just go crazy. one day i think i can do this one day i think man this is over my head, cuz all you guys start talking all the scales and whatnot and i just have to come back to it.
anyways is there any way you could send me or post some some pics of some of your benches or some updated stuff. or anybody else who might read this. i know looks are not everything but i pic says alot for me. thanks for info guys.
max
msj442

Postby larrycavan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Go to the "Readers Flow Bench" section, plenty of pictures there, three pages of different projects.

Clicky here:

Cheers
Tony
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Next

Return to Flowbench General