[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Finding the right CFM/Engine Size - (and the Metric vs. Imperial thingy)

Finding the right CFM/Engine Size - (and the Metric vs. Imperial thingy)

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby 77-1201624802 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:36 am

I am watching the forum for aprox 4 month now and decided to buy the Bruce Plans and register here.

I would like to build a flowbench (with a small budget) to optimize my own modifized cylinderheads ( 3 and 4 cylinder engines with a maximum of 400cc per cylinder / 24.41 cubic inch per cylinder).

The overall power of the whole engine would never exeed 200 hp.

How could I figure out how big my vacuum engines have to be before I start building ?

I assume I can't buy the typical us standard vaccuum engines, since I am having 240V and so I have to buy something in Europe.

Cheers,

Daniel
77-1201624802

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 pm

One way to figure the flow requirement.

Using boost logic, ONE POUND OF AIR WILL MAKE 10 HP. One Pound of air is about 14.5 cfm. 14.5 cfm times 20 = 290 cfm required going through an engine at max power.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby williamsmotowerx » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:07 am

trying to make sense of this thomas.

my engines, single cylinder 40hp

14.5 * 4 = 58cfm

i typically need 200cfm to make 40hp
williamsmotowerx

Postby DWC » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:37 am

I think Tom V means cf not cfm.
DWC

Postby Tony » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:48 pm

A simple rough as guts rule of thumb is total (atmospheric) engine induction CFM = Hp x 1.5

200Hp = 300 CFM induction airflow

Exhaust flow CFM = Hp x 2.2

200Hp = 440 CFM exhaust flow
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby stevenford » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Add more motors than you need to test at higher pressures

I think people develop heads at 28"-36" but do a turbalance check at 60"-100"

Check out Domel Vs Ametek in Air Movers

Domel, Slovenijan, German motors, 240V
stevenford

Postby 77-1201624802 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:40 am

Thanks for the hints.

I have the feeling the the best way will be to go with vacuum motors as they are quite easy to buy (and replace if needed).

I looked around in used-part/exchange parts on ebay and vacuum-repair-stores in Germany, but I am afraid I can't find any bargains, which are vac-motors which are known here or include specs.

Often the vac motors do only have a compatiblity-list (if you want to replace a defect vac), the overal sizes and the watts.

Does anyone have a hint/advice how to get the right vacs or should I just try to get cheap vac motors which are not tiny and give them a try ?

Cheers,

Daniel
77-1201624802

Postby WPH » Fri May 09, 2008 2:35 pm

[color=#000000]Try to source some central vacuum cleaning motors, I'm using 3 motors at the moment. Mine are dual stage Allaway replacement motors which I ordered via my friends service shop. I think they were around 85eur per piece. Not very cheap but easily available. You might want to check out Clen or K
Pekka
WPH

Postby COMP » Fri May 09, 2008 2:48 pm

i hadn't thought about central vac's,,,,i have been looking at wet vac's :D
COMP

Postby 77-1201624802 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi,

Central Vacs are quite uncommon in Germany. However I looked around for some industrial vacuum machines for e.g. car washing companies and here we are:
I found several vac motors which have:
metal 14,4 cm (5.6 inch) turbines
1000-1200 watts for 220-240 Volt
3600 liter per minute = 125 cfm
double isolated

Sounds quite nice for aprox 50-60 euros per motor.
77-1201624802

Postby stef-1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:39 pm

[color=#000000]I used dyson vacuum motors, part # 911934-01. These are YDK YV-2200 motors. Easy to find on ebay and 240v (I'm from UK so had same problem). Six of these should be okay - I paid
stef-1

Postby racehead-1 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:30 pm

Ok, let me know the campany that sells these vac. motors in Europe. It is kind of hard to get any industrial vac. motor in Europe, that is why I got mine from he USA.
racehead-1

Postby 77-1212596771 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:58 pm

19 pounds sounds great.

I had to pay a bit more (55 Euro per motor), but they are brand new and with warranty. Just look for dry/wet industrie vac exchange motors (e.g. on Ebay or industry part websites). Most of them will be from Domel, but eventually with an OEM number, so you have to compare the properties of the motor with the Domel-website (See the threads in the Airmovers section).

Daniel
77-1212596771

Postby Moriniman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:16 pm

[color=#000000][quote="stef-1"]I used dyson vacuum motors, part # 911934-01. These are YDK YV-2200 motors. Easy to find on ebay and 240v (I'm from UK so had same problem). Six of these should be okay - I paid
Paul Compton
Moriniman

Postby 77-1212596771 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Then I was even more robbed ( 44 uk pound per domel motor) ?

I looked around a very long time and never found a better deal.

Cheers,

Daniel
77-1212596771

Next

Return to Flowbench General