I need some assistance

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby The Silver Bullet » Thu May 04, 2006 5:25 pm

I am in the process of building my flow bench and have ran into a snag. I have been waiting for over a month to get a six inch hole saw that I bought that is undoubtly on eternal back order...
Is there anyone out there that would be willing to lone me a six inch hole saw? I will of course pay shipping to and from.

Thanks,
Richard
The Silver Bullet

Postby PFM » Mon May 08, 2006 12:41 am

Richard,

May I ask why you need a 6" hole saw? I would go for a jigsaw and a sanding wheel. I have a 5" I believe that I will send you but hang on if the drill catches. General also makes a hole cutter for use in a drillpress, I think you can get them at ACE hardware stores.

Regards,

PFM
PFM

Postby The Silver Bullet » Mon May 08, 2006 10:57 am

I recieved a email notification saturday that my order has finally been shipped. But thanks any way.
The reason I need the 6 inch hole saw is the cut for the internal valves. I wanted to make it as precise as possible so that It would be possible to get a good seal. I have used a jig saw and a roto zip type saw but they both leave a lot to be desired as for a clean edge. And as for myself, I found it impossible to keep a perfectly round hole useing a sander to smooth the edges.
Thanks again for your offer.
Once I get past this small hurdle I will be taking picture and posting for everyone here to see.
The Silver Bullet

Postby Tony » Mon May 08, 2006 2:53 pm

I have used a router to cut and finish large round holes. It just requires a jig to guide the router, and swing it around a fixed rigid pivot point.

Practice on a bit of scrap, and the diameter of the hole can be made exact. Holesaws can often cut slightly oversize holes.

Something as large as a six inch holesaw will require very low Rpm, and a lot of torque if it is not going to burn.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Return to Flowbench General