SuperFlow air turbines

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Sups » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:08 pm

http://www.superflow.com/support/support-engdyno-accurate-airflow.htm

anyone use them or have one? my school has one, or at least i am told that it is one.

it looks like a small jet engine turbine with some blades that freely spins (i can easily spin it by lightly blowing into it). i dont have it with me at the moment so i cannot say if there are some ports for senors or anything of that sort.

from what i remember ther was a superflow sticker on it, but then again, someone tole me that it looks like the original one was removed.

so will this replace any and all need of a digital or non-digital manometer? and how and where would this be installed?

i was thinking that it removed the test flow manometer below the orifice so that the entire turbine will act like an upper-plenum (upper-plenum from the MSD design).

if that is the case, i was thinking of doing a setup like this

flow source > plenum > turbine > orifice

also does it matter if the plenum entrance is top/bottom or on the side? like..

.....turbine..............
......../\..................
...._._._._..............
...|.........|.............
...|.........|..............
...|_._._._=...<~ flow source

or does it have to be like

.....turbine..............
......../\..................
...._._._._...........
...|.........|.............
...|.........|..............
...|._._._.|...........
......../\...................
..flow source

my view on the plenum is to collect and hold pressure so entrance does not matter, but for the people working on the plenum in the intake system, the idea of a side entering plenum vs. top was addressed. also some other schools that did well in the last SAE competition had this. the concern was for air flow, but seeing how the turbine can detect air flow, i will just need to adjust the motor speed to compensate for any losses before the object is placed. does that make sense and/or correct?
Sups

Return to Flowbench General