[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - mold making rubber

mold making rubber

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby cspeier » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:42 pm

Anyone have a good source for RTV Silicone Rubber? I purchased a 1 lb kit from Mondello, it was enough for one port. The kit was $34.00. It's made by Circle K Products of Temecula, California. My father-in-law happens to live in Temecula. I had him go by, but they don't have a will call. The only way I can get it is by them shipping it. It's cheaper, $24.00 for a 1 lb. The problem is a $50.00 min. The shelf life is 6 months. They also offer a 1 gal kit, $120.00. And also 5 gal kit $395. I thought maybe there was something out better and cheaper. I need to be able to cut it up. Thanks Guys.

Chad
cspeier

Postby cboggs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:49 pm

Chad,

try the following link, .. all kinds of stuff,.. ..

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby gofaster » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:22 am

I bought some from this site:

It's probably pretty close in price, good service.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 am

My first port mold. This stuff seams to be cheaper than what is mentioned above. I bought the 16oz $12.50 kit and it is enough to do 2 small block ford intake ports I used the 2300 mold release and it worked great. It says to not remove the mold for 48 hours, but it was stiff enough after 12. I was surprised how easy it comes out, just a good push and it slides right out.

Here's is where I bought the stuff. It's the softest one.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:17 am

Another pic. And no I did not dig the bowl out in that weird shape, it was cast that way. It did not look so bad when I was looking in. I may fill that in and see what happens.

Nick
Nick

Postby gofaster » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:28 am

I just got some molding compound from Southern Prosthetic Supply. Neat stuff!
Check out what John Haskell and Bill Jones have to say about it on Speed Talk:

Jim
gofaster

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:13 am

Jim

So is this foam rubber? Can you post a picture? I suppose the benefit is it will set in 15-20 minutes. But it does not seem so cheap.

This stuff I used is mixed 1 to 1 ratio. There is also an axcelerant that would speed up the process to a few hours, but no where near 20 minutes.

Ever try the dental stuff?

Nick
Nick

Postby cboggs » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:02 am

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:30 pm

The part number is Poly-74301 I lost the data sheets, so you will have to call 1-561-588-1001 and ask them about the excelerant. I removed the mold about 12 hours after i pored it.

It looks like the 75601 would set up quicker as well.

Lower on the page they have some powder stuff, I don't know but maybe that is like the dental stuff that Darin was talking about on speed talk.

I am no expert here this is my first experience with this stuff.
But it does hold it's shape, is not expensive, and easy to mix.

Nick
Nick

Postby Mouse » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Doesn't hold shape (floppy molds) but fast, cheap and buy it anywhere fine automotive parts are sold...
Mouse

Postby talon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:28 am

Good morning gents

If you are in the LA area there are lots of places to get material from....its Hollyweird stuff - they use it to do their special effects. I looked up this site called ? Lifeforms. I found Silpak, a company here in Pamona that has a complete line of molding stuff like this.

If you want to get a fast( sets in 5-7 min) mold to measure cross sections - you can use an alganate material( mix with water). I paid $25 for a large bag. $7 for a spay can of mold release. The alganate material will not last long - so slice and dice. I tried keeping the mold in the fridge with water - It kept but shrunk considerably

they also have a silicon product, silputty - this was more expensive and I have not tried it - will this weekend.

I also bought some permaflex material - this was a little more difficult to get. I have not tried this yet either. This WAS expensive. $80+.

Jim
talon

Postby 86rocco » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:49 pm

86rocco

Postby 74-1167423495 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 am

Im very impressed with this thread, i dont even figure that this porting trick exist.
74-1167423495

Return to Flowbench General