[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - What diameter tube for manometers?

What diameter tube for manometers?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby UKDoug » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I've been out shopping for parts for my PTS bench build.

One thing I wasn't sure on was the best diameter clear plastic tube to get for my manometers? It seems to be available in a real variety.

What have you guys used in the past?
UKDoug

Postby 200cfm » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 pm

I use 1/8" diameter.
200cfm

Postby 2seater » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:18 pm

I use 1/4" Teflon tubing.
2seater

Postby UKDoug » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 am

Is that internal bore or external diameter?

Teflon sounds expensive? What is that used for in real life and where would I be likely to find it?
UKDoug

Postby MrHijet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 am

Aquarium tubes should be available everywhere ;)
MrHijet

Postby UKDoug » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:42 am

Aquirium tubes are teflon lined?
UKDoug

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:12 am

Might have been Tygon?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm using 1/8" I.D. rigid acrylic tubing from an aquarium supply store. Personally, I think the tubing should be a small as possible so that the ratio of the surface area of the reservoir to tubing is as big as you can reasonably make it but if the tubing's too small, say for argument's sake 1/16" I.D. and you'll have problems with surface tension in the tube.
86rocco1

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:00 pm

I used Clear Cellulose (Acetate and Butyrate) 5/16" OD x 3/16" ID tube from Mcmaster Carr to build this manometer.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Ed,
The one thing that I have been pondering is what diameter of tubing would be best also.

Here is an example that we have found when racing, whether it applies here or not is what I am going to throw out now. On our oil pressure gauges when running a small inside diameter line to the gauge from the engine the gauge would repond slowly. We increase the tubing from 1/16" id to 1/4" id and the oil pressure gauge would act like almost like a tach, it would move that much faster. That way if the engine gave a whisper of losing oil pressure it would show instantly.

On my present inclined manometer I have 1/8" id tubing and it responds a little slowly. My verticle manometer on the other hand is 1/4" id and reponse seems to be much faster and also more sensitive so it is easier to adjust to the desired reading. For that reason I am going to 1/4" id on my new inclined manometer. For the reasons you have listed though I do not think I will go any larger.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:32 pm

John, I suppose that's one more thing to consider when sizing the tubing. I'm really not sure if increased sensitivity it all that important or even desirable in this case. Smaller tubing would act as a bit of a natural oscillation damper perhaps making it easier to get good consistent readings, I guess it depends on the flowbench you're using and the type of testing you're doing, I really don't know, I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.
86rocco1

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I know that my velocity probes are faster responding with a smaller inside diameter tube on the manometer.

Not relevant to the direct discussion though . . .
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 2seater » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:33 pm

The Teflon tubing I used is 1/4" o.d., i.d. is about 3/16". It is semi-transparent and I used it to get as slippery a surface as possible. I like the larger diameter to help my old eyes, and I do believe larger diameter is more responsive. I purchased Teflon at a hydraulic supply store. I am not really sure if it works any better than plain old clear vinyl tubing, which is dirt cheap. It is pressed into a slot routered into a straight board. I would try the cheapest tubing first and see if you want to upgrade to something else later.
2seater

Postby 2seater » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:36 pm

I almost forgot. I do use small diameter tubing for the dry parts, like the velocity probes, but I like the larger tubing for the liquid. The reservoir does need to be larger as the wetted area increases, so that is a valid point.
2seater

Postby jfholm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:51 pm

Ed has jogged my memory one more time. With the larger id on the tubing for our oil pressure gauge it did react faster etc, but also was so sensitive the needle would be a little jumpy from the gears in the pump causing a rapid pulsation from the pumping effect.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Return to Flowbench General