[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Turn valve for Pitot velocity tube

Turn valve for Pitot velocity tube

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby cspeier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 am

Hello guys

Long time, hope all is well. I have a question. I'm thinking of finally using my FP1 for velocity as well. I'm currently using a 36" manometer and PT pitot tube. I know John now offers a PS3, which allows you to check velocity during a flow test. I just don't have the time currently to send the box back for the update.

I've been looking at how the FP1 connects the pitot tube. This is my question. John made me some really tight turn knobs. Do you think if I used one and plumbed it for the pitot tube, I wouldn't have any effects on the flow test? Has this been done with success? Or, would I be better off to manually enable the pitot before use?

Anyone have the PS3 option??

Thanks Guys
Chad
cspeier

Postby 86rocco1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:25 am

In order to cause problems, there would have to be a pressure drop across the turn and for that to happen, there needs to be air flow but there's very little actual air flow through a Pitot tube so I doubt that a tight turn would induce enough of a pressure drop to seriously effect the readings. Maybe Bruce or one of the other guys with experience using a Pitot type bench would offer a more informed opinion.
86rocco1

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:15 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby cspeier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:47 pm

That's probably the wrong words. They are just a 3 way valve that wont leak.

Let me ask you this. Can you just "T" the pitot into the lines? I'm having a hard time getting this to read properly. I'm doing it like the FP1 shows. One port to the PS2+ and one port split to the PS2- and PS1+. I have Larrys FPexcel and when I have it on 28" SSC, it reads a 4 digit number on the correction. I have the FP in mode 3. FYI, I have it hooked up direct to the FP, not "T" into anything.

This is why I've used the manometer for 3 years :D
cspeier

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:55 pm

So you are trying to use the 3 way valve(s) to connect the pitot and velocity probe and just switch the valve(s) to select either velocity probe or pitot?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby cspeier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:31 pm

just the pitot tube. I have a orifice bench.

I'm going to forget the valve idea. I just cant seem to get the pitot tube hooked up properly.
cspeier

Postby larrycavan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:05 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:50 pm

UPDATE on PS3 and FPexcel

I just sent John a test version of FPexcel to try out with a PS3 equipped FP1. Should know something in a day or two.

If this nails it, anyone who's already purchased FPexcel and has upgraded to a PS3 equipped FP1 or bought theirs already fitted but had the older version of FPexcel will get a free upgrade to the new version with the changes for the PS3 setup.

Effective 1/1/2008, FPexcel will ship in 2 different versions. One basic version and one extended version. Prices will be adjusted.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:26 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Return to Flowbench General