Mis-matched motors - must they all be the same?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Griffin » Tue May 23, 2006 12:47 pm

So the friend that I'm building the bench with has been buying up vacuum motors off E-Bay. The thing is, some are new, some are used, and there are a number of different models.

Will this be a problem? My thinking was as long as the motors can pull a stable vacuum it shouldn't mater of some have a little more camapcity and others a little less, but I wanted to get some feedback on that.

We're going to go ahead and build a small test box to test the motors and also play around with vacuum regulation using a Variarc and using air bleed and see which we like more.
Griffin

Postby Tony » Tue May 23, 2006 6:21 pm

I have never mixed motors, but it should be o/k.

Definitely do some blower testing before you assemble your final bench design. You will learn a lot, and know pretty much what maximum flow and amps to eventually expect long before the final bench is completed.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby Little Rocket » Sun May 28, 2006 1:59 am

I am that guy. :blues: I was able to pick most of them up for less than 40.00 shipped each. Some for 20.00 . My garage looks like a vacuum repair shop though.

I concur with Tony. All of them will pull more than 28" so they should work just fine together. The 2 stage motors will flow more at a deeper vacuum than the normal single stage ametek. ???
Little Rocket

Return to Flowbench General