[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - motor controller option?

motor controller option?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:44 pm

I think it depends on the type of motor, if it's the AC/DC type with brushes typically used on vacuum cleaner motors, I don't think a variable frequency will work but if you're using a large induction motor to drive a blower, that would work great
86rocco1

Postby cspeier » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:43 pm

OK, the pictured one would work if my motors were 3-phase. They don't offer a single phase box.

However, I spoke with a man at Payne Control and this was his advise.

I'm going to run all 10 240v motors off a Payne Control. He recommended a Single Phase (240v), Variable Voltage Control for Transformer Coupled Loads. 80 amp wired parallel.

Now my question. What do you think about a control that is for a Constant Resistance Load? Isn't that the type in the plans?

I guess I need to know, What is the difference? Any clue?
cspeier

Postby cspeier » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Well, I hope these people know what they are talking about! This is what I ended up with..

cspeier

Postby K-Star Automotive » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 am

I bought my VFD fro my mill from AutomationDirect.com. There is a guy over on yellow bullet that works there named Mark. (he goes by road hammer) very knowledgeable and helpful. I was thinking the exact same thing about running one on a flow bench. Thinking you could reverse the drive and do exhaust with out changing anything in the bench, but they would need to be 220 motors. I don't think the 110 motors will reverse. I just hooked mine up this weekend. I love it, reverse at a touch of a button,speed contorl on a rotary dial, and all the extra features.

Keith
K-Star Automotive

Postby cspeier » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Yep Keith, it's the coolest thing EVER! It's crazy something that can do so many things is dirt cheap. Here is a photo of mine.

cspeier

Postby cspeier » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Thought some of you might be interested in this. This morning I had an electrician here at the shop. We checked exactly how many amps this bench was pulling with 8 240v motors rated at 4 amps each. The initial spike at start up was 53 amps and with a load on the bench it stayed steady at 23 amps through out a flow test.

food for thought.
cspeier

Postby 49-1183904562 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Yup I use a Hitachi SJ200 (sensorless Vector) on my one step pulley J head machine with this model and the bull gear engaged you get down to 5rpm with full torque it is awesome for cutting 3D seats without chatter. I am now going to add one with a bypass to my variable speed machine. I will also add that Drive Warehouse does ok on price but they also have a good selection of single phase models, I used on e of these on an old Delta cast iron 14" band saw and now I can do anything from wood to steel with just a blade change and a turn of a knob.

Rick

Just remember these are designed for Inductive motors not universal type (Brushes).
49-1183904562

Postby slracer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Rick, Since we decided that I could not use a HF router control on my band saw, could I use one of these? I was in the process of changing the pulleys to get the speed down, but still had a ways to go (1000 sfpm vs 200 sfpm target). Any suggestions as to brands or costs? -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby cspeier » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:00 pm

cspeier

Postby coulterracn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 pm

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby cspeier » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:08 pm

The 40 amp with a potentiometer is $375 and the 70 amp was $625 with a potentiometer.

All the Control Concepts products were price better than the Payne Controls.
cspeier

Postby coulterracn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Audie Technologies Depression Control is $860. It works with their FlowPro system.

Now if we can get the Control Concepts to work with the PTS DM.......

Ray
coulterracn

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 am

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby coulterracn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:40 am

I agree, the time and extra expense kills the DIY.

I'm an old school electrician back before solid state control units. I can follow a schematic or diagram but I'm lost after that.

Ray
coulterracn

Next

Return to Flowbench General