[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - New guy here with a couple questions

New guy here with a couple questions

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby HAULIN' IT » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi Guys! I've been looking around here a little while, looks like some GREAT info available, Thank You! I'm pretty inexperienced with the whole "air flow" thing (I know just enough to be dangerous to anything near me, but have the desire to learn much more). I have used a flow bench a couple times (went to a guy's shop & he said "the best way is to get an old head,ect. a play & see what happens when clay is added & metal is removed") So that's what I did a few times. About 10 years ago, I started to build a PHR magazine/MSD bench, it's really very near done. I guess from reading on here, those plans are less than ideal, but that's what I did LONG before I knew any different. It's been a while since I touched it (8 years?) I put 8 Ametec (ball bearing) motors on 3 switch/relays. I have had it running, but had leak troubles, mainly on the switching of intake & exhaust. What good, simple ways have you come up with? Maybe electric pull/push motors on gate valves or something? I would like to not have to manually open one door & close the other each time. I also need some help on the tubes/gauges, I have seen some good ideas on here already. I'll post some pictures on of these days.Thanks, Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:44 pm

If you get rid of the junky sliding "doors" on the sides of the bench and put in port holes (they have a nice "o-ring" seal, you can fix a lot of the intake/exhaust leakage. You can use these plates or ones like them but Beckson is the best brand.

Next issue would be converting your rotating orifice disc to a fixed plate with replaceable orifice plate inserts. Bruce, the site's owner can sell you quality orifice plates.

Last easy mod would be adding a plenum chamber to the top of your bench with a deflection baffle to improve orifice measurements.

All of these mods have been discussed in the past if you search under MSD type benches.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby FTCH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Thought the title of new guy fitted, for this question
I see under the heading "Formulas" there are 16 subjects. However I can only find 1 post, am I not using something correctly,
Thank you
FTCH australia
FTCH

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:50 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby FTCH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:56 pm

Larry thank you, Bruce put me straight on the formulas page.
I am happy to have any formulas, and if you had an excell sheet that you wanted to share that would be very much appreciated.
I am very impressed with your in put. I am just making my way through the forum. Lots to Read. I have ordered plans. I currently have a small bench, that I have been using for 25 years. Looking forward to stepping up.

thanks everone
FTCH Australia
FTCH

Postby 86rocco1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:34 pm

86rocco1

Postby larrycavan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 pm

FTCH,

What part of Australia are you in?
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby FTCH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 pm

The West Coast 100km (woops 60 mile) east of perth.
I recently went to the east coast to our biggest grag race meeting the winter nationals.
I want to add a bit to the forum in regards to engine development, how I approach it, my flow bench experiance. What do you feel is the best thread.

cheers

Edited By larrycavan on 1216813160
FTCH

Postby FTCH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks 86Rocco. I went there, very good

thanks mate
FTCH

Postby 86rocco1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:30 pm

86rocco1

Postby larrycavan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:40 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby FTCH » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am

Would have been great to meet you Larry. I am going to start a thread over in Airflow thoughts, appreciate your in put.

cheers
FTCH

Return to Flowbench General