[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Building a bench out of steel?

Building a bench out of steel?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Tomasw » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:40 am

I just registered to this board on Monday and have been reading quite a bit on here.
I have been thinking about building a flow bench for a few years, and now I'm going to go ahead and start the project.

One thing I have seen here is that most people build the bench out of plywood or MDF, is there a reason why you prefer wood over steel?
I have access to all the equipment I would need to make it out of steel (CNC laser, CNC brakes, Band saws etc.) and also the material at a discounted price. But I don't have any wood working tools or access to it, so for me it wood be easier to make it out of steel.
Tomasw

Postby jfholm » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 am

I personally don't see any problem other than weight and making sure if something shorts out you don't electrify the whole bench. :D
and welcome aboard.
John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:16 am

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Tomasw » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:34 pm

I have been reading quite a bit on the forum already and also plan on purchasing the plans from you. I haven't been decided yet how exactly I want to build this bench.
Tomasw

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:23 am

My bench has a welded steel angle frame, with MDF bolted onto the outside. The best of both worlds.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby Erik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:08 am

I did build my new bench of steel look under Readers flowbench projects.
Works realy good
Erik

Postby Tomasw » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Erik thats a nice bench you built.
Tomasw

Postby Tomasw » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:59 pm

I purchased Bruce's plans and after reading through them I think I am going to make it out of wood.

It looks like It shouldn't be to hard building one from those plans.
Tomasw

Return to Flowbench General