[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Need help with pitot type flowbench

Need help with pitot type flowbench

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Eagle Eye » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Hello everyone. I recently posted a message about calibrating a quadrant scientific flowbench and got no response. I am assuming that nobody has heard of it or doesn't know about them. These people we're in Colorado and made these benches up to around year 2000. In my eyes, they we're way ahead of their time. They we're the originator of the "cam doctor" program and started building these benches. They are very unique as they are operated totally with your computer. Once the display is up on the monitor, you set the test pressure you desire and open the valve. The computer turns the fans up automatically until the chosen pressure is obtained and it displays the flow in cfm. Open the valve more and the fans rev up more and give you a new flow reading. What a concept, huh? The big problem with all of this is that they apparently went out of business in the early 2000's and are nowhere to be contacted. So if you need help or a part you're out of luck! My bench suffered a power surge or lightning strike about a year ago so I took it apart and with some local help was able to fix it but as in my previous post, I believe the calibration has changed a little. I plan to make a vertical manometer and tap in to the settling chamber to check depression and make calibration plates to check flow. My problem is that I don't know how to change the program. Any help from anyone knowing these machines would be hugely appreciated. I am enclosing some pictures of the flowbench. There are three circuit boards that operate it. One internal board takes in 220v current and upon receiving signal revs up the fan speed via scr's I believe. The enclosed metal box mounted on the back of the unit in the picture directs the in and out signals to and from the computer. The third circuit board I did separate pictures of. This board senses the pressures and flows and lets the computer know what's happening. It also opens and closes 2 doors to redirect air direction for int. and exh. mode. Pretty slick! All automatic when you select mode with the mouse. The third board has some pressure tubes attached and a couple of sensors. One of them I believe is the flow sensor as it mounts directly into the air tunnel in the bench. That's a harley twin cam head on the bench. I've been porting and flowing them since the late 70's. Started with a SF110 then. Again, thanks for any help anyone can give. Jim
Eagle Eye

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Jesse Lackman1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Jesse Lackman
Jesse Lackman1

Postby Eagle Eye » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Hey Jessie, thanks for the reply and the info. I had already seen this info. but thanks again. Yes,old Oz seems to have vanished. Acually I called you a while back looking for Quadr. Scientific parts but you didn't know anything. I took the flow sensor and moved it further in and out of the air stream. Also turned it. It definately changed the readings but is so sensitive that it's hard to control. I have the feeling that they fine tuned it in the software program. I'll just have to keep poking around till I get some help from someone. Maybe Oz himself or a former employee. These units we're all made in house. Even the electronics I think. Thanks again, Jim
Eagle Eye

Postby Jesse Lackman1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Did you click "contacts" at the http://www.hasselgren.com/ site? Sure looks like someone named William Oz Anderson is working there. You'd think there can't be too many William "Oz" Andersons around.
Jesse Lackman
Jesse Lackman1

Postby Eagle Eye » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Yes, I looked on the site and it even shows a photo of him. I met him at a trade show about 1998 or so so I can't remember exactly what he looked like. It could be him though. I'll try to contact him. I do remember his voice. Kind of high and sqeeky. Ha. Thanks again, Jim
Eagle Eye

Return to Flowbench General