[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - The New Guy !!!!!!!1 - Me being a newb to the forum, lol....

The New Guy !!!!!!!1 - Me being a newb to the forum, lol....

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:01 pm

Hello fellow flowbenchers, just thought i'd introduce myself a little, my name is Bill, i am the owner of APD Inc., "AndersonPortDevelopment", we are currently designing the new ports, chambers, and manifold for the new CantedValve CV-1 Pontiac Heads for Roland Racing.... i've been a professional headporter for close to 20yrs now, i've recently developed an interest in custom built flowbenchs. As much as i know about cylinder heads, i'm no were near that on flowbenches, i look to change that problem, so, nice meeting you guys, and look forward to some good learning here on your forum, thanks again, Bill.
twinturrbo406

Postby jfholm » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Welcome a board Bill! Sounds like you will be a wonderful asset to this forum. You will notice that this forum is different than most. We don't argue, but we discuss. We are also all friends here which makes a wonderful non-combative environment where much gets done.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby johno » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Hey there Bill, sounds like you know your stuff!! What sort of benches are you used to working with and which one did you find the best to work with? :;):
johno

Postby blaktopr » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Hello Bill, welcome. Spoke to Roland Racing myself in regards to the port development, to lend him "a hand". Mentioned alot with wetflow to him. I was told he was searching elsewhere. Then blew me off. IMO, that head needs some serious R&D. Too many guys just "mining for air".
Hope you find what you are looking for. If you understand pressure differentials in all aspects of a motor, then the flowbench will come easy. :D Alot of ways to improve on a bench or go for broke here. Not to mention like John said, good discussions.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Bill,

Welcome! It is always nice to have an industry professional on board. This is a great Global group here, lots of knowledge and freely offered up. I look forward to your posts.

Rick

Edited By 1960FL on 1250373993
49-1183904562

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Thank you guys very much for the welcome aboard, i really appreciate it. Yeah, i've been doing this porting thing for a while now, but, i believe there is always something to learn, or in some cases, simply a better way to do things, so i try very hard to keep an open mind when it comes to new ideas and technology. As for the bench we use, all i have ever used was the SuperFlow benches. SF600 is the current unit we have, it's not digital, which would be really nice, we still gotta whip out the ol' calculator, lol.
I'd be very interested in discussing wetflow techniques with you Blaktopr ?? Where are you based ?? You are correct, many are looking to see the limits of peak flow from this head, our approach is more based on what pump-gas driver cars would benefit from. It is the .100-.400 range that gets it done, the average port flow is far more important than what it does at peak lift. On the as cast baseline, we saw 353cfm at the peak on our bench, the port has currently been shrunk 10.5cc's with the new epoxy shape, and the peak so far has gone to 367cfm..... with a much more streamlined port, and a nice improvement in the sound of the port, much cleaner and smooth sounding. I feel there is plenty of flow as cast, if you are going to build a 480-ish motor that goes 7,300-7,500rpm this is not a problem. But, a heavy vehicle needs more off-the-seat response, wow, i started to ramble, sorry guys, i tend to do that, lol. ???
twinturrbo406

Postby Flash » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:59 pm

Welcome aboard.

Looking forward to any rambling you my do. :D
Gordon
Flash

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Welcome. Do feel free continue rambling, sometimes seemly insignificant, random thoughts can lead to most interesting discussions.
86rocco1

Postby larrycavan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Pleased to have you here Bill :D
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Bill,
You are definitly on the right path. I have found most people have way too big of a head as far as port volume and CSA. Have to build for the combo you want. Too much air through the head, more than your engine needs, can cause the velocity to be slow and lazy. If you can it would be nice to see some pictures of the heads you are working with :-)

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Ok, i guess it will only let me put in one pic, sorry. This is one of the first shapes i went with, i am now currently on the fifth overall shape, lots of work in between those, but each shape has slowly made the port smaller. With the CSA being where it was, i chose to try and sneak up on the "sweet spot" shape rather than just jump right in and knock out 20cc's. The low-lift figures have come up nicely. The chamber was defintely worth some off-seat numbers. So far, she's on the right track, actually, every adjustment i've made so far, has made an improvement, even if just 2-3cfm at certain points. I'm not going to stop until i sqeeze the port's CSA & Shape down enough to hurt the flow, then come back up from there, but snap gauging, and blueprinting each shape is the hard way, but i feel it will help to better realize the strong & weak area's of this port. This thing really rocks now, and sounds great, it's about to go back on the bench soon, as yet another epoxy shape is underway, we shall see..... ???
twinturrbo406

Postby coulterracn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Greetings Bill,

Welcome to the best forum on the net. The learning experience is endless.

I tend to ramble on myself. I've spent 37 years porting heads without a flowbench with good results but it's time to step up. Using a flowbench and velocity probe is truly enlightening.

Ray
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Holy crap !!!! The pic is HUGE !! Lol, how can i make it a little smaller ?? Makes it hard to read the post, lol. Sorry guys. :(
twinturrbo406

Postby bruce » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:15 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:48 pm

Oh, thanks Bruce, sorry, i'm much more capable with a die-grinder in my hands, lol.
twinturrbo406

Next

Return to Flowbench General