[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - The New Guy !!!!!!!1 - Me being a newb to the forum, lol....

The New Guy !!!!!!!1 - Me being a newb to the forum, lol....

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Oh no, it went back to the large size, i'm retarded..... i tried to shrink it, i'll load it again, and maybe you could delete the other ??
twinturrbo406

Postby bruce » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:06 pm

The file might be in your web browser cache reload your page. I edited the one you uploaded on the server but it could still be loading the copy that is in your cache. It shows ok on my screen
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:16 pm

hey bruce, will you are here, lol..... how much would it set me back to have a complete, cabinet and all full digital PTS bench ?? I was just wondering..... oh, you are right, the other pic went back to normal size... thanks. :D
twinturrbo406

Postby jfholm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:34 am

Bill,
That is a real nice looking port. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

btw - I like the way these benches work much better than the Big Blue ones. These have been very well thought out by a lot of effort from quite a few guys that are here. Thanks to Bruce's efforts we have a place to meet and he has put together a great set of plans and a digital manometer. Also great orifices. These benches really work good. I about said they really SUCK. but that is a given :D

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 am

Thank you, well, it's only one big picture, lol, but it has come a long way, almost done with it now. As for the bench, how much would a complete cabinet, with digital set up and all set me back ?? Can you attatch a Brezezinski Cylinder to it ??
twinturrbo406

Postby blaktopr » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:21 am

Bill, check out the Flowbench parts section on this site for a digital manometer. Snap guages are a little "off" did you make some molds? If you want to get some good ideas from everyone and discuss things and ramble, you can start a thread in the airflow thoughts section. I will be more than happy to discuss some wetflow stuff along with others in the wetflow section. Plans are in the works for a wet attachment for any bench. Maybe you should play with the "head porters" version. I'm glad you are taking this direction with that casting. He is going to need some "real" work done on it to compete with the new E-heads comming out.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby Eagle Eye » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Twin Turbbo, Hi Bill. They are some good flow numbers you talked about. I'm curious as to what size valve you are using and the shape of the back side. Is it a standard type angle or a steep tulip back? A pic. would be great if possible. Also in your port is the light colored area in the bowl your fill, blended to the seat? Thanks for the pic,s and your insight. Jim
Eagle Eye

Postby johno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 am

johno

Postby johno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 am

Thats an awesome looking port you've constructed, i dig that 'dorsel-fin' styled guide!!
johno

Postby twinturrbo406 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:51 am

Well, thanks for the good compliments. As for the light colored, or tan area's, yes, that is the epoxy. There is much more on the floor, not shown in the pic. I put that pic up to just give an idea what i'm doing with it, but it looks very, very different now..... much smaller.....
I don't want to "let the cat out of the bag" as they say lol, until i'm totally done with the head. But, it should be done here real soon..... then i can finish the manifold. I have come up with some really cool and interesting ideas that i can't wait to try out.... but i must keep those on the downlow if you know what i mean...... but trust me, when you see them in the new manifold, you wont miss it....
As for the valve, it is a 2.250 and it is an under-cut stem, i've done much testing with different brands, and shapes, and i usually go with Ferrea. The valve does have a radius'd shape to the angle so it is pretty smooth around .050 -.100 range.
So, i'll keep grinding until my ears and the bench are happy, lol......... ???
twinturrbo406

Postby Eagle Eye » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks Bill. I too have been playing with port and valve shapes for a lot of years. Have spent hundereds of hours altering them for better flow.It's always fun to see other peoples work to compare ideas. I work with smaller int. valves than you, usually 1.900 to 2.000. Have tried many brands and shapes but what usually workes best for me is the Manley with the standard 22 to 24 degree back with my ports and seats.Have flowed the same ports with different shapes with little or no help.Usually the low lifts will suffer slightly and the hi's rise or visa-versa.I've welded in a lot of ports and reshaped for better flow so i'm very familiar with what your working with.It's funny how we are always looking for that little tickleish spot for that big breakthru but I guess that's just our nature. Thanks for the responce and good luck with your project. Jim
Eagle Eye

Postby twinturrbo406 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 am

Yes, a Manley is actually the valve that is currently in the head.... i just finished a set of L31 Vortec Heads that ended up with Manley int. valves giving me 8cfm @ .200 - .300 lift. That's a nice gain, when the port work is pretty much stalled with the current volume we had...... those heads ended up @ .300=213cfm and @ .510=264cfm with only 176 cc's of port volume !!
Those things really work, and i ended up with 215cfm out the exhaust, exh. to int. % is a little on the high as these are going on a Blower motor, should be a nice street motor. I honestly feel Vortec head is the most efficient iron head GM ever produced, bar none. The tq these things make on a 406 sbc is really fun to drive, alot of bang for the buck, and they really don't need that much material taken out, just a special size valve and our valve job, then some blending, bowl work and hand sanding the SSR and BAMMO !! There was a little chamber work, but not much at all.
twinturrbo406

Postby johno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm

johno

Postby twinturrbo406 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:59 am

Well, from my experience, the 2 main things that will more or less determine that ratio for you will be obviously, the limitation of the head it's self, cause when you start getting an intake port close to 300cfm before .600 lift, it's really tough to beat in that lift range with the exhaust port..... so, what we've seen here in Fl, being sea level, it's nothing to push it to 75%-78% or slightly more.... depending on where the intake port is at..... we have a lot of crap filler in our fuel down here, so we try to help the exhaust cycle out with as much of the "blow-down" event as possable.... there again, the off the seat performance is very crucial.....
Most, or at least some people don't realize it, but even with a blower, only half the motor is Forced Induction.... that poor exhaust needs some help over there, lol...... and for the 2nd main thing, that would be the type of power band you are looking for, as far as what exh/int% you should target, the higher the peaks, the more, to a certain degree, the exh/int% need be..... i've built a few 406sbc's with almost 79%exh/int ratio's and they all run high tens, high compression changes everything, these are pump gas engines and pull really strong to 7,200-7,300rpm.... solid rollers of course.... ???
twinturrbo406

Previous

Return to Flowbench General