[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Switching Flow Direction ?? - Utilizing Sliding PCV Gate Valves ?

Switching Flow Direction ?? - Utilizing Sliding PCV Gate Valves ?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby LMSRACER » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm Wondering if 4" Sliding PCV Gate Valves could be Utilized to Control Flow Direction in an Orifice Style Flow Bench ??
Can they Take the Pressure on the Exhaust Side ?
I'm Considering Running "External Flow Piping" on Both Ends of the Flow Bench..One on the Intake/Vacuum Side and One on the Exhaust Pressure Side..The Piping would Run from the Vacuum/Pressure Source Up into the Lower Plenum Chamber..( Before the Orifice Plate.) I Could then Utilize 8" Deck Plates Next to the Pipe Outlet on Both Ends of the Bench to Control Inlet and Outlet Flow from the Base of the Bench....
This Eliminates Internal Sliding Doors/Plates that may be Prone to Wear and Internal Leakage..

What Sayeth OOH Flow Bench Wealth of Knowledge ??? ???
LMSRACER

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:49 pm

I used a 3" PVC sliding gate valve on my pitot style bench for a few years now as my depression control with no problems. I've since changed to a motor control (HF router control)

As for pressure they are rated a lot higher pressure than the pressure your bench will generate so I don't see any problem using them in your application.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby ThomasVaught » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:57 pm

I too have used the "Tongue" Sewage Valves (Sliding gate valves) for years. Mostly for depression control but I have in the past mounted two valves next to each other with a common link between the two valves. This link had a threaded adjuster to be able to open both valves with one threaded control.

Please post up where you are finding the 4" valves. The largest valves I have found were the Trailer sewage valves in 3" diameter.

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:41 pm

I have given some thought to using two 4" valves tied together as Tom said to use as an alternative way of changing flow direction in my bench plans. It would be more costly to go that route for someone and I doubt it would show any change in my bench operation. It might give someone a "piece of mind" about any leakage issue they might have on the slider plate.

4" valves can be purchased at my local hardware store, not sure how much though?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby LMSRACER » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:02 pm

Hey Bruce and Tom,
Thanks for Your Replies.....
Tom,
About the Lowest Price I've Seen so far is from;

Along the Same Lines of Discussion, I was Thinking of Continuing the Flow Pipes Through a Closet Flange and Into the Lower Plenum Chamber.. Both the Vacuum and Pressure Pipes could oppose each other at the Front and Rear Ends of the Lower Plenum.. The Ends would be Capped and Orifices/Holes would be Drilled Along the Length of the Pipes Away from the Bench's Orifice Plate.. ( Facing the Front Wall [Vacuum Pipe] and Facing the Rear Wall [Pressure Pipe] )
My Other Thought has to Do with Installing a 5" Tall K&N Air Filter to the Base of the Upper Plenum ( Below the Orifice Plate ) in order to Aid in Drawing Air through the Orifice from "All Directions".. The Filter could Pass through the Opening in an 8" Deck Plate for Inspection and Servicing..
"No More Worries about Debris being Drawn into a Vacuum Motor"..
I'm Rambling... You Guys on This Forum have gotten My Brain Shifted into High Gear..I Appreciate It !!!!!
Larry S.
P.S. Hey Tom, I'm a Fellow Pontiac Racer..Met You Once at Dinner in Virginia Following a Pontiac Race...
Thanks Again.... :D :D
LMSRACER

Postby LMSRACER » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:49 pm

I Cannot Believe that I Typed In PCV instead of PVC....And I Did It More than Once........What a Ding Dong.... :D :D
Hey Bruce,
I'm Originally from Just Outside of Pittsburgh,Pa... Still Have Relatives Just North and Just East of There...
I Intend on Buying My Orifice Plates from You and Purchasing Your Flowbench Plans.. They May Enlighten Me Even More than This Very Informative Forum of Yours.....
" I Feel as Though It's the Least I Can Do !!!"
One More Question...( For Now )
In Your Opinion, Would it be Wise to Flip the Orifice Plate When Performing Positive Pressure Testing ?? I Can Picture the Way a Carburetor Jet is Squared Off at the Entrance and Chamfered at the Exit..The Same as Your Plate in the Negative Pressure Mode..
Larry S.
LMSRACER

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Yes, a sharp edge orifice plate needs to be flipped over or the Cd will not be correct.

I'm on the other side of the state halfway between Lancaster and Reading.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby turbodig » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 am

I've been kinda wondering about how to best implement this as well... I'm nearing completion on my bench (averaging pitot tube), and I'm kinda stuck at what to do about reversing flow.

My initial design was pretty simple... I had an inlet and an outlet to the "vacuum box" part of of the bench. To reverse it, hook the hose (I was planning on using 3" reinforced hose) to the other port. Basically, same thing you'd do on a shop vac.

What I ran into, was the barb to FPT fitting for the hose was pretty restrictive, in that the ID was down to 2" or so.

Not to mention, switching things this way is clunky at best. And prone to leaks.

Plan B was to make a slide valve out of wood that would open one side to the inlet while opening the other side to inlet/exhaust. This would work, but I'm concerned about leaks.

Anybody come up with a good solution for this? Maybe some sort of flapper arrangement?

Someone asked about a source for gate valves... here's one:

Thanks,

Dig
turbodig

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:20 pm

Depending on how your airbox is made the simplest thing would be have one hole on the intake and one on the exhaust and rotate the box around to match up to your bench.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby turbodig » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:11 pm

turbodig

Postby ThomasVaught » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Your Circular valve is EXACTLY how the "Intake/Exhaust" valve is made on the Super Flow 300 and 600 benches. They work well too.

Great Job!

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Postby Otto » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:42 am

I am Pondering flow reversal via a rotational drum and mayby standing it end[img]DSCF0139.jpg[/img] if stood on end with fittings down you could add a second section on top if more power is desiderd. does anyone see a problem withthis??
Otto

just another one man show
workin to play
Otto

Postby COMP » Fri May 09, 2008 2:58 pm

lurking for updates
COMP

Postby Tony » Fri May 09, 2008 8:02 pm

If you used a roots supercharger, you could just reverse the motor.

Never heard of anyone ever actually doing this, but a VFD would allow full flow control, as well as flow reversal at the push of a button. It would be a pretty simple bench to build too.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Return to Flowbench General