[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Making larges holes in wooden plates

Making larges holes in wooden plates

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby MrHijet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 pm

[color=#000000]I am sorry, but I can't find a proper thread, where I could add this little info.

For smaller holes, I am using a "hole saw", which will be fitted to a drill. This works fine up to 5 inches, but then it will get hard for the electril drill.

Therefore a "router" (In german: Oberfr
MrHijet

Postby bruce » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 pm

That's what you need!

I bought a tool made in Germany that was just for cutting circular holes it came from Harbor Freight tools. It was a scary tool though if it caught on anything when it was working! I had it grap one time and come flying out at me.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby ccm399 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:46 pm

My dad is a carpenter by trade and we regularly make and use these type of devices. I can't read German but you have to know ahead of time if you are cutting the ID or OD of the circle. I our application you will most likely be cutting the ID. So you have to shorten the radius of the circle jig by the radius of the bit you are using.

For example if you intend to make a 8" hole using a 1/2" bit the radius jig needs set to 7.5". Couple other tips, First, Make sure the pivot goes through the plate into the table. (My Dad's shop has wood top benches for just this reason). Second using our previous 8" hole example set the radius jig to 7 3/8" then once the hole is roughed in set the jig to the final hole size and finish out the hole. You will get a better finish on your hole with this procedure.

As far as the jig goes you don't need anything as fancy as what is shown in the page you posted. If you need to make a bunch of different size holes go ahead and take the time to make a jig like they show. But is you need to make a bunch of the same size holes then just mount some wood to the base of the router and drill a hole in it for the desired radius. Oh, one more tip, a quick and easy way to find the correct place to drill the hole is to get the jig mounted to the router base then set the bit so it is "in line" with the jig (meaning the cutting flute is at its widest point) then mark the spot on the jig slightly smaller then the hole you want then one at the correct size. Start with the smaller size and finish with the correct size.

I hope this helps! And makes sense? ???

Chris
ccm399

Postby msj442 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:23 am

i actually made something similar to this out of a roto zip. same concept i guess.
for the pts build i invested in the hole saws i needed though. i got a kit from harbor freight that goes all the way up to 5" . it was super cheap. under 10 dollars. then bought the oddball sizes that i needed for flowstands. the 6" was hole saw was around 45.00 though so i used the roto zip with the attachment.

jmo, max
msj442

Postby bruce » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:19 am

I used one of these adjustable style hole saws in my drill press for the holes on any removable panels I could fit in the drill press. Slowed the speed down and it cut right through the MDF.

Edited By bruce on 1234873322
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Scott H » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:53 pm

Here is a google translated page
Scott H

Postby MrHijet » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm

woohoo. google translated documents are somewhat scary ;-) If can translate parts of the page, if there are questions.

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby andykaw1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:13 pm

andykaw1

Postby MrHijet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:42 am

@Andykaw1
Please don't switch the topic inside this thread as its confusing people who want to read something (in this case) about wood working. I wrote you an PN on my flow bench.

Cheers,

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby jfholm » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 am

I have not cut any of the large holes for the deck plates yet. Could you not just use a scroll saw? How precision do the holes have to be for the deck plates?

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby MrHijet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am

Hey John,

I want precise cuts for the suction motors, which will sit a bit deeper in the wood plates in my setup.

Daniel
MrHijet

Postby jfholm » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:47 am

OK, I see what you are up to now. I also got a little lost there. In that case you would want a good fit. Thanks for the reply.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby MrHijet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 pm

you are welcome John :)
MrHijet

Return to Flowbench General