[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Saenz D-680

Saenz D-680

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby twinturrbo406 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:11 am

Have you guys heard of the Saenz D-680 ?? If so, what are your thoughts on it ?? Piece of stuff, or good unit, overpriced, inaccurate, etc........
twinturrbo406

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 am

In this day and age why would you want a bench where depresion is controled via air valve and not motor speed control?
It is just a professional ?? version of the MSD bench.

JMO
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:15 am

Build a PTS Style flowbench, install 8 Lighthouse motors, go digital with PTS gauges and pocket the other $6000 you save!! Heck pay someone $1000 to build the cabinet for you and make it look pretty and you still save $5000 :)

Don't think that because it's commercially produced it's any more accurate than what forum members are building. I know some people don't have the time/desire to build a bench so in that case . . . yes it's going to cost you $6000 more.

Edited By bruce on 1251631202
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:38 pm

My argument for building your own is the knowledge that you gain. I knew how to use a flow bench, sort of, but did not know anything about how it really worked. Now I understand how a bench works.

Things I have gained:
1. The physics of air flow
2. The skills of working with wood, plastics and metal.
3. Trouble shooting skills if the bench is not working correctly.
4. My knowledge of electricity is 1000% better now.
5. My math skills have increased dramatically.
6. The friends I have gained if I need help or need someone to talk to.
7. And probably one of the best things is a flow bench that is , in my opinion, better than anything else out there.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby coulterracn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby coulterracn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:43 pm

coulterracn

Postby blaktopr » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:51 pm

I know I have alot of time in mine, but with everything in front of you, how much time do you guys think it REALLY takes to build one. Week? 2 Weekends? I think my latest one was about 4 days give or take if I were to put 8 to 10 hours a day into it? Thats with datoing joints though. What about from Bruce's plans? I never really put much thought into the timeline, so I am not sure.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby coulterracn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:27 pm

If you have everything gathered together in front of you and someone to assist you for and extra set of hands, no more than a week. I spent to much time spray painting mine. I should have brushed the inside with latex primer and a top coat of hi-gloss latex and used Formica on the exterior.

Ray
coulterracn

Postby Greg » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:37 am

I spent all up probably 40-50 hours though it seemed like 400-500. I made it fairly modular which is a good thing as I'm looking at making some big changes to it.

The Saenz benches look pretty good, I see Jamison Equipment has Harold Bettes working for the now with the Saenz benches, I'm sure he used to work for Superflow. The Saenz benches use Audie data aquisition by the look of it.

Still, I don't see them being any more accurate than a well built home built bench, they probably are a benefit for a busy shop that needs a bench and doesn't have time to make one though.
Greg

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:32 pm

The level of Flowbench Knowledge has expanded 1000 times in my opinion from when I was first posting on this forum and people were trying to figure out a orifice size for a given flow. There was also a lot of discussion about pitot tube vs orifice bench designs.

We have won over most of the pitot tube guys with the orifice bench design (including Bruce, lol).

We went from "Sliding Doors" that leaked on the sides of the "Blue Bench" clones to proper Deck Access Plates (Portholes) from Beckson that sealed and were inexpensive.

We went from home built water manometers with yardstick scales to electronic instrumentation. We came up with proper square root scales for orifices.

We went from benches with flakey flow conditions to benches with proper plenums and smooth flow.

A lot of flow benches were built with the #1234 vacuum motors a buddy told me about. Unfortunately those motors are gone now.

We documented member designed wiring schematics for several SAFE bench electrical systems as well as excellent motor control schemes.

We went from basically "cartoon bench plans" to professional quality bench plans that were well worth the cost.

We now have access to properly machined removable orifice plates that are inexpensive and are calibrated prior to shipment.

Last but not least. Not a single "backbiting" comment like you find on many forums, just total cooperation from the members.

What a deal! :)

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby Flash » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:07 pm

I agree!!!!

Besides even if you bought a bran new, brand "X" flow bench............. Do you thing you would get near this much support!

even when every thing was going wrong, i still have received grate help :cool:
Gordon
Flash

Postby johno » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Dont be scared off building your own flow bench, they are no where near as complicated as the commercial fraternity would like you to believe and the knowledge and broard cross-trade experience gained during the build will give you a healthier understanding of your subject matter!! :cool:
johno

Postby larrycavan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Hmmm...... Having read Tom's post was like stepping back in time. I remember all those events. Amazing what 5 years has done for progress in flowbenching for the DIY people who were lucky enough to come across this forum.

It wasn't just the flowbench technology that advanced though. Different people drifted through here that brought flowbenching techniques into a new realm. So it hasn't been just about building it but also about using it to proper advantage.

The collective knowledge of all he people who came through this place is countless. Contributions came from a global community that until recent times, was not possible. Oh the people were there and the individual knowledge was there alright. But singularaly it has less value than collectively.

I guess I'm drifting away from the real topic so I'll get back on track.

The answer is simple really. If you have no time and plenty of money, buy a bench. On the other hand, if you are getting a feel for what is possible, what has been accomplished by people as contributors of this forum, then build one. Because the second option has rewards the first option will never live up to...

JMO

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 pm

man these guys sum it up in all aspects of opinions. i was like alot of guys, knew how to operate one like second nature, but had no idea how they worked nor did i care at the time. then it occured to me that i probably would not be able to afford one ever. so i stumbled on to this sit 2 years ago. and i read some of my ol posts and kinda grin cuz i have now learned what makes a flowbench tick and now understand that the brand X is making a #### good living off people that use these machines. like john said now if there happens to be a problem you can bet that it will add to your knowledge figuring it out and you will know what the problem is. DO IT MAN, BUILD IT!!!!!!!!!! you will not regret it. these guys on here are the best. 50 bucks is all it takes to get a big headstart.

jmo, max :D
msj442

Return to Flowbench General