[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Ran Out Of Ideas - Manometer Bounce Issue

Ran Out Of Ideas - Manometer Bounce Issue

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby stef-1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi All,

I've spent all day trying to sort out a manometer bounce issue that's been plaguing my new flowbench.
Details of the bench are here

This is what I have tried today;

1. Installed filter on bleed valve - no effect.
2. Made bellmouth on bleed valve (plasticine) - no effect on bounce but improved bleed valve capacity.
3. Moved baffle plates closer to orifice - small improvement.
4. Removed baffle plates - worse effect.
5. Mesh under head mounting hole - no effect.
6. Made several probes with an array of 1.5mm holes in them to pick up static pressure only. Placed in loads of different positions - no real improvement.
7. Cotton wool in lines - no effect other than to slow response.
8. Small orifice in lines, 0.6 - 0.3mm sizes - as above.
9. Needle valves in lines - as above.

I tried all the above singlely and in combinations. The best improvement still had 1/8" - 1/4" of bounce in both manometers.

I don't know what to try next ???

I'm lucky my wife has patience with me spending weekends in the garage lol
stef-1

Postby stef-1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:31 pm

I wonder if it's worth fitting extra pickups in each chamber so that they can be linked together and provide an average reading in the chamber - like thry do with some pipe orifice plates ??? Anyone tried this?
stef-1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 pm

Put a 1.5" or 2" x 3" long "accumulator in the lines.
This will dampen out the pulsations and will still give you very accurate readings. There will always be air in the accumulators so the response time will barely change.

You can make the "accumulators" out of PCV pipe and end caps glued together and a hole drilled in each end for the manometer lines.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby stef-1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Tom,

I will try out the accumulator idea again. What sort of diameter should I be looking at?
stef-1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Try 1.5" ID PVC Pipe about 3" long with the rounded caps on the ends. Drill the rounded caps first and either install nipples or tap for a screw in fitting then glue them on the tubing.

Some put cotton inside but if the manometer accumulator ever sees fluid the cotton is trashed. Unless you have a removable end piece (and that might throw off your readings if it leaked).

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby Tony » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Manometer bounce can only be caused by pressure variations and unstable airflow in your bench.
In other words the bench is very likely surging.

You can play around with your manometer by greatly slowing down the response, but is that really a good idea ?
Much better to fix the surging problem if you possibly can.

After reading through the construction thread, I would say almost for certain, your surging problem is because you are throttling the air instead of controlling the speed of the blowers.

All centrifugal blowers have the potential to surge to a greater or lesser degree, if the airflow is greatly restricted.
I strongly suspect it is your throttle body flow control system that is causing the centrifugal blowers to go into a surge condition.

It is far more efficient to control blower speed, than to always run the blowers flat out and then throttle the air. Less heat, noise, and power consumption as well. And it will give a far better control characteristic.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby stef-1 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:32 am

I would rather fix the surging or instability problem. Although the problem has happened to a few members on here there does not seem to be much information on this issue, especially the causes. I've not heard it happening to the "Big Blue" benches or the proper PTS bench. I have been thinking that there was, or is, a fundamental problem with the design of my bench. Although the pitch of the motors does not change in operation I have heard "woofling" or "chuffing" sounds from the bench. Is this surging or flowstreams seperating and re-attaching inside the bench?
I wonder why a throttle type depression control would cause problems rather than the "Big Blue" method?

I will build a motor control unit for two of the motors. I did have the foresight to order a couple of the Harbour Fraight router speed controllers ages ago. I did not use them originally as I wanted to keep the bench simple in construction. I will report if this solves the issues but I'd like to fully understand just what it is about my design that is causing the problem. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes :)
stef-1

Postby bruce » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:52 am

Are you running all your motors at one time and bleeding off to get your static?

If you are not running all at one time then I'd lean towards having a back flow issue (motors in-reverse spinning up and slowing down when not under power) if you did not install check valves.

I'm with Tony, you have something going on with your motors.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby stef-1 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:34 am

stef-1

Postby stef-1 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:25 pm

Some more thoughts after spending a while reading on this forum; the heights of the plenums on both sides of the measuring orifice are 9". Is this too short? Also the height of the bleed chamber is around 4". I'm wondering if these dimensions may be causing turbulance inside the bench?
What do you more experienced guys think?
stef-1

Postby Tony » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Stef, if you can hear "chuffing", your bench is definitely surging.
Fix that, and your manometer bounce problem will go away.

Throw away those throttle bodies, open up the air path both into and out of the blower compartment, and speed control your blower motors.

I have seen this exact same problem before in one of my own very early flow bench projects.
Tony

Postby stef-1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:18 pm

stef-1

Postby Tony » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:09 pm

Tony

Postby 49-1183904562 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Steff,

Remeber you will need to install the flapper vlaves on the motors that will not be running once you move toward a motor speed controler.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:39 am

Stef, I'm with Tony. The more I close my bleed valve the less surge there is. Completely closed, steady as a rock. It doesn't matter about the size either. I have a 12X30X30 settleing chamber only for where the motors feed and to bleed before the rest of the bench. There is still some funky turbulence in there playing with the meters.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Next

Return to Flowbench General