[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - another new oneew to the - flow bench build

another new oneew to the - flow bench build

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:52 am

im new to the forum and have a major question/ problem. when in school i had access to a superflow 600 and a superflow 1200 and i did a lot of intake and throttle body work on the side. i have been out of school for a while and have been starting to get requests again for my services.

can someone help me with a design or someway to modify bruce's design, he says his large bench will not flow enough. I am looking for a bench of reasonable size that will flow 1000 cfm @ 28" H2O. I would like to use digital technology, and it must flow in both directions, kind of like a dual purpose bench so i can start messing around with some heads and exhaust but also keep working on my intakes, throttle bodies and carbs.

thanks for the help in advance

before i had found this site i had found mercdog and had ordered a set of plans from them; but the more i read about the PTS bench and DM i think i will have to go that way

can i get 8 Llighthouse LH2093-120 into Bruce's bench?
lrader99

Postby coulterracn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:26 pm

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby Tony » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I agree completely with Ray.

The PTS bench plans are an excellent start, and you can always scale up some of the dimensions while keeping all the original design concepts and features.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:28 pm

which is what i will end up doing. are those lighthouse units any good
lrader99

Postby coulterracn » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:36 pm

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby Flash » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Gordon
Flash

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm

i have 220 available...i plan on running multiple phases either way i go that way the current draw is limited
lrader99

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 pm

whats the difference between using a vacuum motor and the others who are using blower motors? do you just reverse the polarity of the blower motor?
lrader99

Postby Flash » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Gordon
Flash

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:23 pm

If I was you, I'd go for Bruce's plans and incorporate a bigger blower to get the cfm you are after. I'm in the process of changing my bench I already have built to use a big centrifugal blower I picked up for a good price and I am considering changing from pitot setup I'm currently using to the orifice plate setup.

I get more and more people wanting to test intercoolers etc, so a big capacity will be nice. My bench currently has 12 1kw vacuum motors and it doesn't really flow enough. The other bonus is I just moved my bench and it saves me running 30 metres of 50 amp single phase wiring as the 3 phase power is already there.

I'll post up some photos of the new (to me anyway) blower when it arrives next week.

Although I already had my bench built and am using it, the dollars for Bruce's plans are well worth it even just for access to the PTS build part of the forum.
Greg

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:27 pm

i just ordered Bruce's plans. now maybe i can get some real answers. im not saying everyone's answers havent been awesome just that hopefully i can use the centrifugal blowers as i have 4 of them laying around, it would be much easier and cheaper then to go out and buy a bunch of vacuum motors. the blower motors i have came from a 4 story school for the furnace there was 12 of them all wired together and they are 2 speed
lrader99

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:03 pm

Post some pics of the blowers and I'm sure someone here will be able to give you an idea of whether or not they will work.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm

they are at my grand parents house in ohio and im in ga...ill have my mom grab them here at the end of the month when she goes up for her sisters wedding...i think i have a lot to do before i need them. i know theyre approx size so if nothing else i will build the bench big enough to fit them...still not sure how a blower motor works in a flow bench...do you just run them reverse polarity unless you are flowing exhaust ports
lrader99

Postby Tony » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Yes, show us some pictures of your blowers, and give us some dimensions and motor rating plate data. From that we can probably tell you if they are going to be useful or not.

Some high pressure furnace blowers would be ideal, but many furnace blowers are of the low pressure type, and may not be suitable.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby lrader99 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:15 pm

ill call tomorrow and see if i can get some information from my grandpa...he has another set of 4 that are the same
lrader99

Next

Return to Flowbench General