[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Vacuum units, roots or vane

Vacuum units, roots or vane

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby viper » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:48 pm

I did not even know you could vary the rpm with a VFD on a vacuum cleaner motor or AC/DC motor. huh....

I will surely give the roots blower a shot. I am still in lala land on getting my readings but I know we will go all electronic with it and data log on a PC, would you have any preference on bench styles with this in mind? I know I had built the bench before to create a sealed box under the test port to read differential pressure but I am not what else I will need to extract all my data. We had talked about a velocity probe in the air stream but I don't think that will work.
viper

Postby Tony » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:59 pm

A VFD adjusts BOTH the motor voltage and the frequency together.

An ac/dc brush type motor is only sensitive to motor voltage. Connected to a VFD it will certainly control motor speed, but it is only the variation in voltage that matters in this case.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby viper » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Your full of good info Tony.

Did you have any input on my electronic bench design? Is all this already on the forums. lol
viper

Postby Tony » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:53 pm

Tony

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:57 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby gtpumps » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 am

I am using a roots blower driven by a 7.5HP AC motor controlled by a Siemens VSD. I will soon change over to a 10HP motor. And use 4" pipe, 3" is too small :)
gtpumps

Postby viper » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:57 pm

What blower are you using and what kind of performance are you seeing? Can I assume that by wanting to go to 4in pipe, you have too much depression and not enough flow?
viper

Postby 2seater » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:40 pm

I have the old 8V92 roots blower and I had pretty much decided to look into a large centrifugal blower instead, but, what Viper is doing has made me take a second look at it. I had planned to switch to sealed bearings, so I pulled one end from the blower. I made a tracing of the end of the clearance area between the rotor and the casing using 1/5" graph paper. As near as I can calculate, the void area is 4.12 sq. inches (103 1/5" squares). Two three-lobe rotors x the actual 16" rotor length yields .26 cu.ft per revolution. Does that sound about right? That sounds pretty close to the 8V71 blower that was mentioned but I would "think" the 92 series would be larger unless it is the same blower but just spun faster?
2seater

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 pm

The advantage of a big centrifugal blower, is that basically it is a constant pressure device.

A roots blower is a constant volume per revolution device.

As we are trying to maintain a fairly constant test pressure over a very wide flow range, a centrifugal will be much easier to control. The pressure will not spike as much either, if flow s accidentally blocked.

While a big roots blower will make a truly splendid flow bench, especially if you already have one, it would not be my first choice if starting out with nothing.
Tony

Postby gtpumps » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:59 am

gtpumps

Previous

Return to Flowbench General