Newbie here - hello all

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby atvporterguy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:01 pm

Hello all. This is a very informative site. I am looking for some help.
I have an atv and am part of a forum for atvs. My atv is pretty built. Its has a big cam, hi compression 13.75 , hi performance exhaust. I have tried two forms of porting. The convential techninqe which it to make the ports bigger. I have also tried a newer technique , its called high velocity porting or inporting. You make the ports about 60 to 70 percent the size of the valve.
And the one that i found works the best is in porting. It makes a big difference. It makes big gain down low and equaly large gains up top. Oh yea a side note, up top for my atv is between 7500 and 11500 rpm. Another side note is that bore is 94mm and the stroke is 64mm. It has four valves per cylinder. the intake are 36mm and the exhuast is 30mm.

Ok that was my back ground here is my question. What kind of flow bench would suit my needs best and how much do you think it would cost to make?
Any plans or part list would be great
Thanks
Aaron
atvporterguy

Postby 84-1074663779 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:50 pm

Welcome to the Forum Aaron,

All of us here either have home made flow benches or are in the process of building a flow bench. We all have different ideas on how best to go about it.

By reading through all the threads here you will learn a great deal and get some ideas. Just take your time and slowly go over all the old threads.

How much ? That depends on how much you want to spend. The most expensive part initially will probably be the air blower, and that can be anything from a few old vacuum cleaner motors scrounged free from down the tip, or something very powerful purchased brand new.

Likewise, accurate flow measurement can be as simple as a sheetmetal plate with a round hole cut in it, and a couple of home made water manometers which cost almost nothing. Or you could buy a fully computerised commercial flow measurement system.

It is entirely up to you, but getting started and getting some useful results definitely need not be expensive.
84-1074663779

Return to Flowbench General