[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - new aussie member with a few Q's

new aussie member with a few Q's

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby FPV_GTp » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:10 pm

In last few months I have acquired many vacuum cleaners from things that the motors are totally bugged to thinks that still worked fine.

Customers , friends and peoples rubbish left out on the council rubbish street collection days to which I help myself take the vacuum cleaners spotted out on the street.

Yeah Yeah I know I'm a bad boy take ( stealing ) the councils rubbish too which they own.

On one particular vacuum cleaner that I acquired only rated at 1500watts it has some form of speed controller on it to lower the suction and increase greater suction when the person wants to while cleaning .

The speed controller works nicely , consisting of a potentiometer and some little bit of electronics it is connected to. This particular vacuum cleaner when I plugged it into the 240v wall power was working but seems like the motor was struggle. When I dismantled it I found on the potentiometer one of the wires was broken off. When I connected it up just by pushing it against the soldier and powered it up wammmmmmmmmmmmoooo i could increase the speed of the motor. Then I repaired the soldier joint and now the motor works fine. Amazing what a hot soldiering iron can do.

It maybe be of some interested to other people if they want to make some sort of speed controller for the vacuum cleaner motors when testing and low pressure is needed.

One speed controller per vacuum cleaner motor , may be of interested to people .

Will post a picture of the speed controller and list the parts on it maybe someone can make them upp with the etched electronics circuit board.

I still haven't worked out how to post pictures on this forum , I tried a few times and it doesn't seem to work for me , whether its me or the forum not sure at this stage.

ANy guidance to how to post pictures would be appreciated if anyone has the time to inform me how to post pictures.

Thanks guys

cheers
Ford Sale - ( Melb , Aust ) - Engine Dynamometer Heenan & Froude G490EH 1,500Bhp@15,000rpm - Ship World Wide
FPV_GTp

Postby FPV_GTp » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:38 pm

"On one particular vacuum cleaner that I acquired only rated at 1500watts it has some form of speed controller on it to lower the suction and increase greater suction when the person wants to while cleaning .

The speed controller works nicely , consisting of a potentiometer and some little bit of electronics it is connected to. This particular vacuum cleaner when I plugged it into the 240v wall power was working but seems like the motor was struggle. When I dismantled it I found on the potentiometer one of the wires was broken off. When I connected it up just by pushing it against the soldier and powered it up wammmmmmmmmmmmoooo i could increase the speed of the motor. Then I repaired the soldier joint and now the motor works fine. Amazing what a hot soldiering iron can "[quote] mmmm quote feature not working

Here is a pic of a factory vacuum speed_controller that allows a person to crankup the power of the suction on a domestic vacuum cleaner.

Have 12 vacuum motors or have any_number of vacuum motors to any_number of speed_controller adjust accordingly.

Has anyone explored this idea of speed_controller made within the vacuum cleaner its self ?

Maybe apply a larger fined plate for the voltage regulator and possible integrate a small PC fan for added cooling of the speed controller on length and high load electric motor testing.

As I was just playing around with the speed_controller running the vacuum motor , I partially blocked the vacuum motors pumps orifice and certainly the motor and the speed_controller get hot very fast.

But defiantly the speed_controller works nicely , if one is on a budget this might be something to look into as a method of speed_controller the vacuum motor.

cheers

PS , the [quote] function on this forum , I can not get it to function right, again it must be me. Bruce need your assistance once again or anyone else that cares to guide me into making the tool features work of this forum. :O :) :) :)
Ford Sale - ( Melb , Aust ) - Engine Dynamometer Heenan & Froude G490EH 1,500Bhp@15,000rpm - Ship World Wide
FPV_GTp

Postby bruce » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby FPV_GTp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:51 am

Have a few AC operated AUX relays at work , make is Fuji Denki Seizo K.K. type RC50-3F

I searched on the net to try and find some specs to no avail. This AUX relay has eight auxiliary connectors , so I'm assuming I can start up eight motors with the flick of one switch. When I manually push the bridge connector down they all work.

I did connect 240Volts@50Hz but after about a minute the relay coil over heats ? so I would have to say 240V is not correct voltage to activate the relay.

Most relays require less the actual voltage their intended to be used on , bypassing high current laods on on/off switches.

Question for the electronics guys , what AC voltage is required to run theses ? pull the bridge connecter down ?

Still search on the net to find more information about them.

Any help would be appreciated

cheers
FPV_GTp

Postby Tony » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 pm

One option for controlling vacuum cleaner motor speed is to use a variac, otherwise known as a variable voltage transformer.

Although big, ugly, and not exactly cheap to buy new, they work extremely well, are not electrically noisy, or prone to blowing up.
They will also survive mains voltage surges and self destructing vacuum motors. E-bay usually has plenty of variacs advertised.
A suitably large one should be able to control two or perhaps even three motors with high reliability and very smooth control characteristics.
Not the ideal solution for everyone, but just another possible solution to think about.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby FPV_GTp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:55 pm

lots of great reading material in this forum and others

a particular thread that I found interested to read was dating back in Posted: Mar. 26 2006,15:26

Tony " variable voltage transformer " have to look into finding out more about them ?

Just looked at the huge industrial fan ( huge by my standards but I'm sure small by others ) I have sitting in one corner of my workshop sitting idle doing nothing mmmmmmmmmm maybe I should awaken it and test to see what it really can blow????

This fan is more a low pressure air mover for venting buildings.

Have several 671 rotor superchargers also doing nothing.

At this stage will do a small vacuum motor bench and my other bigger unit with the fume vacuum fan that I have also.

All fun and games

cheers
FPV_GTp

Postby FPV_GTp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:55 am

Wooooooooooooo hitachi Blower E Series

16.0 Max.capacity (m3/min) @ 50Hz @ 18.5 Current(Amp) @ 25.5 Pressure (kPa)

or

18.5 Max. capacity (m3/min) @ 60Hz @ 22.0 Current(Amp) @ 22.0 Pressure (kPa)

FPV_GTp

Postby Tony » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:33 am

Those side channel blowers (ring compressors) work extremely well, but are incredibly noisy.
That box on the bottom is a muffler, but they still scream.
You know what a spa blower sounds like, well that would be the mother of all spa blowers. They will hear you two blocks away with that.

The second one works out very roughly to around 635 CFM at 90" pressure
Tony

Postby FPV_GTp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Dammmm noisy thing

also found this nice unit again looks large as compared to a coke can.

Electric Blower ABB motor 3 Phase 5.5kw still haven't found any info on this unit.
FPV_GTp

Postby RACEPUMPER » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:51 am

I saw that one too FPV, pretty decent price I thought!

Jim
Whats another word for Thesaurus?
RACEPUMPER

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:13 am

Yes, but WTF is it ?

Looks like a machine for slicing carrots.
Tony

Postby RACEPUMPER » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:37 am

A carrot slicer?

If I order one, do I get a free set of steak knives?

Jim
Whats another word for Thesaurus?
RACEPUMPER

Postby FPV_GTp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:00 pm

LOL carrot slicer

Its a some form of a blower

maybe the pictures doesn't do it justice

here is another angle

cheers
FPV_GTp

Postby FPV_GTp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Damm its early in the morning , posted the wrong pic and have no idea how to edit it

trying again
FPV_GTp

Postby FPV_GTp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:07 pm

dammmmmmmmmmm need a coffee it is way to early in the morning

take three and I might get it right

direct coupled blower fan to a big three phase motor have no dimensions as of yet but rated at 2800rpm so it must move quite a bit of air.
FPV_GTp

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench General