[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - testing a complete assembly

testing a complete assembly

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Ok, I'm completely new to flowbenches and I am trying to figure out what can be tested with one. I know you can test individual pieces such as cylinder heads, intake manifolds, etc., but can you test multiple components together, such as the head, intake manifold, and throttle body? That way the air would have to travel thru all of the different directions just as it would on the engine. I don't know if it would make a difference in the true airflow capabilities. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try. For example, I'll use a throttle body and intake manifold. If you test a throttle body by itself, I assume that all the air just goes straight thru, with no turn afterwards. Then, if you test an intake manifold by itself and the air exits with no turn. Presumably one of the pieces will have a higher flow than the other. If you bolted the pieces together and tested them as a pair, would you end up with a flowrate equal to the lower of the two individuals, or a number possibly higher due to a transition point somewhere within the two that helped velocities, or maybe lower due to a bad transition that could hinder velocities? I'm not certain if that makes sense, but I hope it does. Like I said, I don't really know anything about flowbenches yet, that's why I'm here :D
1997 Ford F150 4x2, 4.2L V6, 5 spd, 3.55 limited slip rear, stock with gasket matched and mildy ported upper and lower intakes
Jason

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:05 pm

i always pre test with complete system to identify the problem areas befor touching tool to material. then work the problems out from there indiviually and as a whole. It always helps to have spare parts (scrap), manifolds, heads, ect. where you make test fixtures out of them
Otto

just another one man show
workin to play
Otto

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:09 pm

1997 Ford F150 4x2, 4.2L V6, 5 spd, 3.55 limited slip rear, stock with gasket matched and mildy ported upper and lower intakes
Jason

Postby larrycavan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Jason,

Honestly, I think you probably already know this and are trying to read too much into the reply...

By flowing the assembly, then individually flowing the separate components, you will see the affect each has on the other. From that, you draw conclusions, make decisions and move forward with modifications.

The full system test will give you an overall picture. Then, by removing the most upstream component and retesting, you will begin to see how the components either fight or compliment each other.

A manifold may enhance the flow of the cylinderhead in both overall bulk volume and in velocity profile or it may have the opposite affect.

If you look at the piston demand vs the full system flow as compared to the piston demand vs head flow alone, a better conclusion might be arrived at as to how well you may actually achieve the pistons needs.

None of that speaks anything of the other affects the individual components have on the full system's function. For example, at times, it may be desirable to have a lip where the manifold joins the head in order to improve fuel atomization. You may want to see how the mismatch can be achieved with minimal flow losses.

And on and on and on it goes.....

Larry C

Edited By larrycavan on 1222385277
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Ok, thanks Larry. That is what I thought you would have to do, I just wanted to make sure. I'm learning, so please be patient.
Jason

Return to Flowbench General