[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Q&D plenum question

Q&D plenum question

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Michael Moore » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:37 pm

Hello,

I've just received a Flow Quik. I'm going to be using it to do mostly some small (100-250cc) motorcycle heads so I got the 2" version. These are for my own projects, not a commercial deal, so I'm not terribly concerned about whether my numbers match those of someone else's bench. I plan on using a shop vac for the vacuum/blowing.

I've been trying to find information that addresses whether there is any advantage to a cylindrical plenum vs a rectangular one, but I haven't seen anything yet. I did search through the fora here.

A sturdy plastic pail (or the body of an old shop vac) would seem to be a good candidate for a plenum and the cylinder should be better able to resist the suction than a flat-sided box. I don't know if the cylindrical plenum would be prone to more cyclonic flow patterns inside, or if some sort of air-straightening lattice would be worth putting in.

I suspect that it probably doesn't matter much as long as I'm just doing relative tests on the same bench with the same problems (if any).

A six gallon pail would give a 48X plenum capacity on a 500 single and near 100X on the small bikes. 9-16 gallon shop vacs seem common and finding a dead one might not be too hard to do. Or I could turn my 20 year old 7 amp/12 gallon vac into the plenum and buy a new one for air supply/vac chores, and maybe add the old vac motor onto the new one for extra flow capacity if needed.

FWIW I was looking at some specs on Rigid shop vacs and something seems not quite right in vacuum advertising land:

289 cubic feet/min, 10A, 12 gal, claimed 5 hp. But 5 hp should be 3.7kW and 10A x 120v seems to me like 1.2kW

187 cu/ft , 12A, 16g, claimed 6.5hp but 1.4kw is 1.9hp

203 cu/ft, 12a, 16g, claimed 6.5hp

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:23 pm

49-1183904562

Postby Scott H » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:38 am

Scott H

Postby Michael Moore » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Scott,

Yes, Euro Spares is my website. I'm glad you've found it worthwhile.

Rick, I have read a lot of the posts and did search, but I didn't see anything that seemed to address my question. It seemed like a fairly obvious one and I am not surprised that it had already been asked, but I couldn't find that discussion.

I don't enjoy carpentry (when I cut too much wood off every attempt to weld it back on has failed) and rectangular boxes don't seem like the best way to enclose a low pressure area according to the posts I've seen about having to brace them so they don't flex/collapse. A shop vac cannister is obviously up to the job and seems like it should make for a relatively easy build. Using a plastic or stainless steel vac body avoids painting/sealing wood or trying to keep regular steel from rusting.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore

Postby slracer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Hello Michael, I can echo the comments about Eurospares and had a pic of my first bike posted there! I also had dinner with you at a place just south of LAX about 10 years ago! It's truly a small world! Welcome aboard! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:43 pm

49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm a pitot convert (I've seen the light err I mean airflow) . . . I'd ask Audie what they recommend to use with their flow element.

We could speculate all we want but it's their flow element they would know what works with it.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Michael,
I had a Flowquick at one time. The shape of the settling chamber I feel does not matter, it is the size.

For our orifice benches it is more convenient to build box type. But you could build a cylinder type if the area was large enough, in my opinion.

edit ps: I started typing this before the others added their comments. The Flowquick has a flow strightening mesh in each end of the flow element. I actually used my Flowquick without a settling chamber. I just added another 24" of tube length to the flow element and had a cylinder adaptor made out of PVC. I used a 4" pvc tube that adapted down to the 2" tube for a head adaptor. I had a flat piece of pvc glued to the top of the 4" to adapt the head to the Flowquik element that I added 24" to. It seemed to work fine.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Return to Flowbench General