good reading - flow measurement

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby bnelson » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:03 pm

I was going through my notebook of info that I have accumulated while building my bench..........to pare it down so that I can close it!! and thought I would share some good stuff that I have found. Not sure if these titles have been posted before, but here goes anyway.

The first is a book called "Fan Engineering" by Buffalo Forge Company. I believe it is still in print and available from BFC. I have a copy of chapter 3 titled "Fluid Flow". I haven't counted but I'd say its 40 plus pages. Its is gear towards engineers, but if you take your time you can wade through it or glean alot of basics from it. It also discusses different types of measurement devices like flow nozzles, venturi meters, pitot tubes and orifice plates. It talks about the correct way to design and install the devices as well. An example being the correct placement of the dp taps on either side of an orifice plate and the accepted different methods of tapping, i.e. flange taps, radius taps and flange taps. This book also has other good chapters on other subjects. I work with an HVAC engineer who lent me his copy.......and it seems to be an old standby book for those types. The chapter also discusses different types of transitions and their effects on flow......like cones and abrupt transitions.

The second would be The ASHRAE Fundamentals Handbook. If memory serves ASHRAE stands for American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers. I have a copy of chapter 13 of the 1981 handbook. It is titled Measurement and Instruments. Its probably about 40 pages too.

The third would be Crane's Fluid Flow handbook or one of their old hardbound piping and valve catalogs (check your local used book store in the engineering section for this and the others). The first is strictly engineering info and an old standby with process engineers. The other is a catalog with some of the engineering info from the first in the back. The old catalog I have and use at work has maybe 20 pages or so on fluid flow including air. Pretty easy to read too.

Hope this helps, I know these helped me a bunch.
bnelson

Return to Flowbench General