[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Tumble Meter

Tumble Meter

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby jsa » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:29 am

I'm wondering where to locate a tumble meter, which I imagine to be like a paddle wheel parrallel to the cylinder head ?
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:43 am

I doubt if you can buy such a thing. The problem is that there is no standard official unit of tumble to measure. So it is not really possible to build a measurement instrument with any meaningful readout.

Sure you can build a paddle wheel, and say it spins at 438 Rpm, what does that tell you exactly ?
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby jsa » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:51 am

Tony,

I planned on making something. Either a round magnet and a nearby coil to read frequency, or a little dc motor to generate a volt output. Driven by a paddle wheel or some other means.

I think frequency will be more stable long term as armature and brush wear would decay a voltage output over time.

In isolation the number is useless, however as a head is developed, tracking the measurement may reveal steps in the right or wrong direction. I would think if flow increased by 50% and tumble fell by 50% then that would be bad. Charting rpm per cfm might be educational

Just need to work out some way of fitting it to get a repeating measurement ?
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:45 pm

It is a really tough problem. Trying to define swirling and tumbling uneven airflows into some sort of repeatable numbers. I really don't know what the solution to the problem is.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby DaveMcLain » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:58 am

You might want to talk to Kevin at Perf Trends because they do offer a fixture to measure tumble using their swirl meter. I don't think that there is any real standard for swirl or tumble measurments but I would say that as long as you have a quantity you'll be able to tell if you're gaining or losing swirl or tumble with your porting.
DaveMcLain

Postby jsa » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:58 pm

Dave,

I've seen a picture of the performance trends fixture. They appear to take flow from the side of the bore fixture and then down into the bench ? I wonder if that would induce tumble all by itself.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby DaveMcLain » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:40 am

That's tough to say, I have not seen that fixture in action. I guess the thing to do would be to try an experiment on your own bench using a clear cylinder. I think I would experiment with a small hole drilled through the side of the cylinder with piece of string inserted through the whole to show what the air is doing in there, might tell you something.
DaveMcLain

Return to Flowbench General