[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Modified Superflow 110 - Add extra motors ?

Modified Superflow 110 - Add extra motors ?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby Unkl Ian » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Somewhere,I've got all the parts to make
a pair of Superflow 110 clones.

But they won't flow as much air as I would like,
in their stock form.

So the question is,if I double the number of fans,
modify the cabinet design to suit,and double the
number of orifices on top,will it flow 250 cfm at 28" ?

What can I expect ?

Thanks.
Unkl Ian

Postby larrycavan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:47 am

I don't see why you couldn't get away with it. You would have to make the bench large enough to house more motors in the lower chamber section. I'd shoot for a minimum of 4 motors if you want 250CFM @28". You loose out on the ratio-metric aspect of a SF600 clone and that's a down side. More motors will equal more heat and more corrections to calculate into your flow equations.

If bench top design fits your work area better than a full cabinet size bench, you may consider a mini MSD design with FP1 electronics and a single range of roughly 2.5" diameter.

Ultimately you can make anything you like. I'm just thinking over the pros and cons of the 110 style bench.

JMO

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby trader » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:51 pm

Larry,

WELCOME BACK TO THE TOP OF THE PLANET. I for one missed your input here..................
Changing one thing, changes everything...
trader

Postby larrycavan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Trader

Thanks for the welcome home and the nice comment!:D

We arrived last evening and can't wait to do it again.....The Aussies are a great bunch of people and made me feel welcome and comfortable where ever I went. Australia gets a major thumbs up in natural beauty and hospitality!
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby jsa » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:24 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Unkl Ian » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:25 pm

Unkl Ian

Postby larrycavan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:17 am

A 110 requires corrections for heat produced by the motors because of their location [in between the tested part and the calibrated orifice]. The 600 doesn't suffer that effect because the motors are locates such that in either exhaust or intake testing, both the tested component and the calibrated orifice get the same temperature air delivered across / through them.

The corrections are no problem....just another thing to contend with though...

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Unkl Ian » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:27 pm

As I remember it,doing the math wasn't too bad,
once you got used to it,
but waiting for the air temps to stabilize was a hassle.

Perhaps digital thermometers will speed up the process a little.
Unkl Ian

Postby larrycavan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:40 pm

They may just do that. If you need the correction scale for the 110, I have a manual with the factors in it. I posted them several months back for someone but I can't remember exactly when or in which exact discussion it was. I'll be happy to put them in an Excel sheet for downloading if you want.

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Unkl Ian » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Pretty sure I've got an Excel sheet with correction factors,
probably one you posted here.Thanks.

I'll double check to make sure. I've got it.
Unkl Ian

Postby DaveMcLain » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:27 am

The correction factors for the temperture change are very easy to calculate just remember that they go one direction for intake and the other for the exhaust and you'll be in good shape. I really don't think you'll have a whole lot of trouble with temperture rise except for at low valve lifts, making a set of the motors switchable so that you only use them at high lift might be an easy solution. I think I would just make the motor portion of the cabinet wider or deeper to accomidate 4 instead of only 2 motors in each direction, that could be pretty easy to do...
DaveMcLain

Postby Unkl Ian » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:12 pm

Right now,I'm thinking just make the cabinet deeper on the back,and make the orifice plate on top twice as wide with double holes.
Unkl Ian

Postby Unkl Ian » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:43 pm

Just thinking out loud,what if I stacked the extra motors
over the stock motors ?

Would that give the same increase in flow,without making the cabinet bigger ?

I imagine it would run even hotter,because there would be warm air running through the extra motors,so they would heat up faster.

The Superflow specs show 15amps for the 110,
doubling the motors bumps that to 30 amps.Is that right ?
Unkl Ian

Postby larrycavan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:09 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Unkl Ian » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Absolutely,I agree,simple is good.

My limited Hands On experience with a flow bench was with a 110,
and we've got 95% of the parts.The one thing I didn't like was we couldn't get as much flow as I wanted at a high enough depression.
Unkl Ian

Next

Return to Flowbench General