[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Dwyer pitot tube part number

Dwyer pitot tube part number

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby 65mustang393 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:48 am

I currently have a Dwyer 166-12 pitot tube for the exhaust and a 167-12 for the intake port, but I'm looking for the Dwyer number for the intake pitot that has the tight .600" radius.

A quick search didn't really come up with anything and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Gerald.
65mustang393

Postby larrycavan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:27 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:33 am

Audie Technology offers some small diameter pitot probes, and I think the bend radius is close to that size, go to his website, and you'll see a picture of one of his probes next to a rule to demonstrate it's size.

Jim
gofaster

Postby hollywood63 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:58 am

I just was in contact with Dwyer about a pitot. The tightest they can bend is .875 outside to outside. The short end of the J bend is 1.250 and the total lenght is 18" the part number they gave me was 170915-00. Its their 167 series with 1/8" tubing. The price of a 90* bend was something like 50-55 the phone number for them is 219-879-8000
Art
hollywood63

Postby hollywood63 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 am

hit to many buttons and did a repost :p
hollywood63

Postby 86rocco » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:12 pm

If you can't find one, they're pretty easy to make, here's mine.
86rocco

Postby larrycavan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:47 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:21 pm

I don't think there's any specific ratio that needs to be adhered to. My only concern in making very short is that the pickup port not be affected by any turbulance created at the bend.

I'd never really considered going into even limited production. The probe in the picture is the second of two that I've made and represents about $5-6 worth of supplies and about an hour labour.
86rocco

Postby hollywood63 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Rocco
What size holes did you drill in the tubes. The one I made has .040 holes in it but I'm not sure if it is accurate. The readings I get with mine show 400-450 fps which I'm having a hard time believing.
Art
hollywood63

Postby 86rocco » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:13 pm

It's been a while since I made that Pitot tube but I think the holes are around .025".

As for the velocity readings you're getting, why not make a test fixture. A simple piece of straight pvc pipe, a couple feet long mounted on your flow bench, armed with the CFM reading from the flowbench and the I.D. of the pipe you can easily calculate the average velocity through the pipe. Then use your Pitot tube to measure the velocity at the centre of the pipe multiply that by a factor of 0.9 and you should get your average velocity + 5%. That calculation isn't completely accurate but it's close enough to determine if your readings are at least in the right ballpark. For more details on this type of measurement,
86rocco

Return to Flowbench General