[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - power supply

power supply

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby whtrthanu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Bruce for this new proposed larger bench with 8 or 10 or even 12 motors, what type of power is this going to draw?
I would guess it will have to be 220v but what type of amps will it draw?
whtrthanu

Postby bruce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 pm

All depends on the blowers you use, anywhere from 7amps to 15amps each?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:59 pm

My bench has 12 Ametek blowers. I'm planning to feed my bench from a 100 amp/220v breaker in the main panel. Next to (or mounted upon) the flow bench, there will be a 100 amp distribution panel feeding the motor controller, data acquisition, lighting and switching. The output from the motor controller will feed another distribution panel for the blowers. This will allow each motor to have its own breaker. My reasoning is that having each motor on its own breaker will help troubleshooting later if a motor goes bad.
If you can find the post that has pictures of my motor wiring, you'll get an idea of what I'm doing. All of my wires are numbered with taped on numbers (from the local electricians supply outlet) so I know which motor is fed by which wires. I figure a little effort now may pay dividends later!
I hope this information helps you formulate a plan to SAFELY wire your bench.

Edited By gofaster on 1201226462
Jim
gofaster

Postby whtrthanu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 pm

100 amps!!!!!!!!!!!#### thats more than my welder............
whtrthanu

Postby larrycavan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:52 pm

I went a route similar to Jim's. 220VAC dryer outlet feeding a subpanel on the back of the bench. Made a cable with a plug that simpley plugs the bench to the outlet. At the subpanel 220vac Splits to 2 110vac legs, 6 breakers in the subpanel feeding 3 dual rocker, 110vac switches, one for each motor. No relays. An extra breaker for a 110vac outlet on the back of the bench for computer and overhead light.

Do as you see fit but I made sure I bonded all my moters together with bare copper ground and tied that back to the subpanel. All 6 motors are sealed with Ultra Copper to the plenum divider and have a bracket with 4 screws that hold them down. That's where I got the ground bond connections.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby whtrthanu » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 pm

So these motors are 110v each, you just ran a 220 power supply to the bench for adding on with all the accessories?
whtrthanu

Postby msj442 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:03 pm

i am still looking at power options. what is the reason for the relays? because the motors pull the most amps at startup? just still in question on which route to go. what does bruce prefer? thanks for help guys.
i have a dream i will own a flowbench, oh yes i have a dream
msj442

Postby bruce » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:14 pm

You could go most any way you would want, some here prefer no relays just switches others prefer relays and switches. If you go relay you can turn on sets of blowers.

It's really a personal preference. The info is here for you to make the decision on what best suits your work style. We will try and point you in the right direction along the way.

As for what I prefer . . . well like everyone else here I am still learning and will continue to learn something everyday . . . a few months ago I was a diehard pitot style bench and now I have plans forsale for an orifice style bench, go figure? That being said, my personal preference could change on a whim depending on what the "collective" here teaches us all :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Jesse Lackman1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Jesse Lackman
Jesse Lackman1

Postby jsa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Return to Flowbench General