[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Desk top style or cabinet style?

Desk top style or cabinet style?

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby gofaster » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:45 pm

I agree with Tony about using steel for a frame. I didn't and I already ran into problems getting some corners and edges right. My forward vision may be lacking, but I am developing a good sense of hindsight. As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking at this more and more as project #1, and thinking a lot about following this project with a second bench.
I did choose stainless steel plate for the power cord entry, drilled for individual cordgrips for each motor feed. I'm using a motor controller to feed a distribution panel, with an individual breaker for each motor.
Jim
gofaster

Postby larrycavan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:16 pm

My bench is 13 years old. When I built it, I added some 1x1 supports in the corners, around the rear door panel and under the orifice plenum shelves. It's held up beautifully.

Every seam was glued & screwed, then the bench was painted with epoxy paint after I priced out laminate and wrote it off.

A year ago I repainted it and did the inside as well this time.

Steel frames are strong...no two ways about it but if you use good material to begin with, cut it straight, glue it, screw it, add some 1x1 supports to stressed areas and seal all the seams with GE Silicone II, it ought to be plenty strong and air tight...

It's worked for me for 13 years now...

JMO
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:13 am

I am now on my third water manometer orifice type bench, and am completely happy with the method of steel frame/MDF bolted construction. There has never been a single leak from the first moment it was powered up and leak tested.

If I ever get off my backside and begin construction of bench number four, the only thing I would do any differently, would be to go to an electronic pitot style bench.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby gofaster » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:47 am

Thanks for the post, Larry. It's a comfort to know that a bench with all-wood construction has held up and performed properly for such a long time.
There are so many ideas to consider on the forum, that sometimes I find myself second guessing too much. Just want to get it right!
Jim
gofaster

Previous

Return to Flowbench General