[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Fabricating velocity probes

Fabricating velocity probes

Discussion on general flowbench design

Postby larrycavan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 am

"It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others. "

We can all learn plenty from each other :D
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Ok John, Neat trick! The header says you made the last post at 10:30AM, but it doesn't show up on my computer. How did you do that? :p :p -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 pm

If it is the post I am thinking about I had mad some spelling errors and went back to correct them. I did not want to show how dumb I really am. But when I hit add modified post it disappeared and gave me an error message. I did a screen pop of the error message and was going to post it so Bruce could see it. This has happened a couple of times to me and I think it happened to Ed last week.

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:35 pm

Seems there was a problem with the forum host this morning could be why the post disappeared.

A loss of one or two posts from time to time is a small price to pay as apposed to me losing all the posts to a forum upgrade . . . so I keep plugging along with the software I am currently running.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 pm

John, Better that the gremlins get you than that they get hjbvcwoiuyv5i87qvcwnungviv8hoij8hj3987vthom5vgu!

Doug :p
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Bruce, believe me I am not complaining. It was not an important post anyway. Maybe it was just God watching over your forum :;):

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby bruce » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:16 am

Oh my! I can't imagine you two in the same room together LOL :D
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby slracer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 am

Bruce, Have one of your old spy buddies , oops, I meant work mates, put a satellite camera over Salt Lake on Aug 5. I'll be passing through on a road trip on my way to Bonneville and plan on meeting John. Shouldn't be hard to find us as I will be in my pickup with one partially complete race bike and a pit bike in the back! -- Doug
slracer

Postby bruce » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 am

You guys better take some pics to post here!!
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jfholm » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:13 pm

I see what you mean Doug - I just saw this blank deal how weird is that?
John
jfholm

Postby jfholm » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Well here is the day of reckoning on Doug's pitot tubes. Now all you start humming the Jeopardy tune for 30 seconds and then I will post . . . . . :;):

I built a calibration tube which I will post pictures of at the bottom. This was so I could make sure I was repeating and accurate and could verify the results.

I used Three ways to calculate. The readings in Port Flow Analyzer from Performance Trends, a math formula that I happen to get from an older post by Larry Cavanaugh, thanks Larry, and the velocity spreadsheet that Larry had posted.

Doug, are you sweating it yet? Hee Hee.

The test tube is 1.600" in diameter for a CSA of 2.011 sq inches. I did my tests at an actual 10" H2O. The tube was flowing 141 CFM @ 10" H2O.
With my conventional pitot tube, 1/8" outer tube and 1/16" inner tube the reading was 9.5" H2O and PFA said it was getting 202 fps. Using the math and Larry's spreadsheet it said it was getting 204 fps.

Now with Doug's pitot with the longer shephard's crook it gave a reading of 9.58" H2O and PFA said a little above 202 fps and the calculation and Larry's spreadsheet said 204.9 fps.

For the last test I used Doug's pitot with the shorter smaller shephard's crook and it gave a reading of 9.54" H2O and PFA stated 202 fps and the math and Larry's spreadsheet stated 204.5 fps.

Doug's probe with the shorter smaller crook on the end was pretty stable and worked very well. They all worked very well but I liked the smallness of this one of Doug's as you could get it into some very small places.

Great Job! Doug. I am going to test them in a real head now and see how they act.

John

Test apparatus:

jfholm

Postby jfholm » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:23 pm

I played around for a while longer and in reality the most stable of the two of Doug's is the one with the longer shephard's crook. It is equal to or more stable than my regular pitot tube. They all basically get the same reading.

John
jfholm

Postby slracer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:37 pm

John, So far I feel pretty good! I told both of them that they had to behave or it was off to the crusher! But the real question is do the numbers vary when you fix the location of the tip and move the large tube closer to or further away from a wall? Or if you hold the pitot tip in the center of the port and rotate the outer tube around it? You will probably be able to check that better in a "real" port. Thanks for the fast response, maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight! :p :p

Doug
slracer

Postby jfholm » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:14 am

This little fixture I made was easy and fairly cheap. Yet it is a very educational tool as you can tell what the air is doing in the tube. The velocity "DOES" slow down when you get right up against the wall and is fastest right down the center.

On your probes if I hold them right in the center of the tube and rotate them it makes no differrence.

I do want to get them in a "real" port instead of and "ideal" port and see what will happen. My probe is so much bigger on the shephard's crook end and it is hard to use is some of the ports. I am going to be making some new probes and they will have a much smaller radius.

Also we need to make one for the exhaust which will just be a straight one and does not need the radius.

John
jfholm

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Great work John and Awsome work Doug,

I do have to say the picture of the test setup was a little unnerving I kept thinking the stuff on the shelf was going to fall on me :D.

Rick
49-1183904562

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench General