[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Dyno software?

Dyno software?

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby bruce » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:53 pm

How many are using some type of dyno software and whatca using? I have an old copy of Motion Simulation Dyno Shop that runs on DOS and I'd like to upgrade to something newer. I don't want to break the bank but would like to find something that allows me to do what-ifs. I'm sure there will be a wide selection of whats being used in various price ranges. I'm looking to spend less than $100. I have been very satisfied with using the one I have but the DOS layout is getting old.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 84-1074663779 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:31 am

Not exactly sure if you are referring to software for an actual dyno, or one of those engine simulation packages ????

I am using some software that allows me to build a virtual engine on my computer, by entering the specifications of all the various parts. It then builds a mathematical model of the various mechanical and thermodynamic processes, and plots power and torque curves.

It sounds like magic and it is, and it works too !

My first effort was Desktop Dyno from Motion software. It cost me about $US 40 or something back about 1995.

It was pretty good, so I bought Dyno 2000 again from Motion Software in 2002 it was approximately $US110 (difficult because Australian dollars are different).

They now have Dyno 2003 which is even better.

click on "products"

84-1074663779

Postby Terry_Zakis » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:20 pm

I have numerous software programs from Performance Trends, located in Livonia, Detriot. They have several versions of Engine Analyzer, Compression programs, Port Flow Analyzer, Cam Analyzer, and so on. Great products, and the manuals which come with each software package are usually worth the cost of the software alone. Look up www.performancetrends.com

Best Regards,

Terry Terezakis
Western Massachusetts, USA
Terry_Zakis

Postby PaulR » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:55 am

Tony,

I'd love to know more about the engine simulation programme. Is it something you've done yourself or bought etc? I've started to make exactly this sort of preogramme at home, though it's taking a while. It would be a lot easier if someone has already done it!

Any help gratefully received...

Paul
PaulR

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:36 am

I already have the port flow analyzer and cam software. I have a homemade spreadsheet program that has a bunch of formulas I have collected over the years from various sources and it "spits" out all sorts of mathmatical numbers which I try and make sense of. I just added piston velocity to it. I'd like to overlay cam profile and flowbench cfm's to it in the very near future. My desktop dyno program allows the what ifs and I really like it. Gives a good indication of cam settings veruses power band. This is what I use it mostly for.

I'm going to be interested in seeing how closely the numbers from my desktop dyno program match up to the numbers off my dyno. My goal is to have my dyno finally working before the end of this month!! I keep dragging my feet and working on other smaller projects, ugh . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 84-1074663779 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:15 pm

Paul, these are well presented, easy to use, complete commercial packages you just load and use.

The idea is you enter a whole lot of basic information about the engine, bore, stroke, number of cylinders, rod ratio, compression ratio, and so on. Then you tell it more about valve sizes, port flow, type of manifolding, valve timing, and a lot of other things.

It is very detailed, and it will help you to select the right inputs. Once you have built your virtual engine on the computer screen it will then do a virtual dyno run and plot power and torque. It is incredible how accurate the results are these days with this type of software. But there is far more to it than that.

For instance you can enter actual flowbench flow data into the cylinder head part of the program, and some programs let you vary intake and exhaust runner lengths as well. It will also work with alternative fuels, gasoline, methanol, nitrous oxide. Supercharged and turbocharged engines, no problem.

The beauty of it is that you can play around with different combinations, particularly valve timing. It is excellent for choosing a camshaft, for example, and it is an excellent way to learn about engines. The best way is to start out with a bog stock engine and duplicate what you know you already have on the computer. Then try out various ideas. You will quickly see that some changes have very minor effects, and other modifications can be more dramatic.

The Motion software that I mentioned is quite good, and not terribly expensive for what you get. The Performance Trends that Terry likes, is definitely better, but costs rather more.

As Terry says, the guys that wrote the software have a very deep understanding of engine theory in order to be able to make something like this work. The book that comes with the software is priceless and would be worth the cost of the software just by itself.

If you have never seen anything like this before, you are in for a real revelation.
84-1074663779

Postby PaulR » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:33 am

These sound like exactly the program I am looking to get (either buy or write). Where did you get it from, or at least what is it called?

Cheers

Paul
PaulR

Postby Greg » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:20 am

Paul,

You can download demo's of Engine Analyzer and Engine Analyzer Pro from

The demo's actually work, though you are limited to using the engines already saved in there, you can't start from scratch but these are an awful lot of saved engine files that you can change around and try out.

I think I'm going to have to buy Engine Analyzer Pro, it is very close to spot on! I only wish the price was Aussie dollars, not US!
Greg

Postby 84-1074663779 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:17 pm

Paul,

Try out the demo version of Performance trends, and see how you go. Motion software used to offer a demo version from the internet, but don't do this any more now for some reason.

I would rate Motion Software as being about 90% as good as Performance Trends, but at roughly only 20% of the cost.

Motion will definitely get you started and then perhaps upgrade later. The rather large cost difference makes this quite realistic.
84-1074663779

Return to Other DIY shop equipment