[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Hydraulic Press?

Hydraulic Press?

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby 98-1074649673 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:32 pm

I'm working on a small 10 ton hydraulic press based on my Blackhawk Porta-power. I want to add small sheet metal bending cabability and hole punching sometime down the road with it. Any thoughts?
98-1074649673

Postby SWB » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:36 pm

You can use two pieces of angle iron for bending, it won't go exactly 90 degrees, but it's close. Obviously the lower piece will have to be welded to something or it will tip over. I use three pieces with two welded one side flat to a piece of flat bar and the V welded between them. I'll try to post a picture sometime.

Have not punched holes with mine, but I'm sure it's possible. There is a lot you can do with them and a lot you can ruin in a hurry too! haha :laugh:

SWB
SWB

Postby bruce » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:42 pm

Well I finally took the time to finish this project up, here are some pics of it. I still have to finish the arbor plates and the table pins.

ImageImageImage

The pics should be self explanatory. Probably way over engineered and the amount of time I spent on it we won't talk about. I made it so I could upgrade the cylinder down the road if 10 ton doesn't work to well for me. The cylinder and pump can slide from side to side by loosening up the hold down bolts. I have not pressed anything with it yet, but did put it under pressure and found that the cylinder and pumped leaked big time. I spent today tearing them apart and tightening up the packings. Seems to hold its oil now . . . sorry I could not get any full size shots of it I have to much junk laying around and I didn't want to get it all in the pics :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 84-1074663779 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:09 pm

I made my own ten ton press many years ago from a truck hydraulic jack and a sturdy six foot high frame. If you decide to make one, make it as large as possible. It works fine for small jobs, but being able to fit really large and bulky objects under there can be pretty useful sometimes.

Folding light sheetmetal is probably more conveniently done another way, but bending heavy plate for small brackets in the press is very effective.

Punching holes is not so easy. The punch and die need to be perfectly aligned from above and below to work. In a home made press that can be a problem. Sheetmetal punches with a threaded draw bolt through the middle are probably more practical than hydraulics for home use.
84-1074663779

Return to Other DIY shop equipment