[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Losing the diamond tip

Losing the diamond tip

Place to post other shop equipment ideas or something you made and u'd like to share?

Postby blaktopr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Can someone please let me know of the possible reason for losing the diamond tip on the stone dresser. I take very small cuts, this is the second one. This one was also new but has been in the case for a long time. I never had this problem before. Is there anything else to use especially when cutting your own angle from an uncut stone? Why is this happening?
If I am going to fast then any slower would take me 20 minutes to change an angle just a few degrees.
Thanks
Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 106-1194218389 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 am

Possibly the heat build up from continued use. I used to have this happen so I would only do a couple or three cuts and then rest for a few or you could blow some air on the diamond to help cool it.

John
106-1194218389

Postby blaktopr » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks John. I can see that. Maybe fluid cooled?? Unless someone has a better idea for a tooling tip.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Took the last one ( the one for the valve refacer) and used it to reshape slightly 2 stones. Each pass up and down and then cool with air gun. So far so good.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby maxracesoftware » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:08 am

taking lite dress cuts along with not letting the Diamond get too hot for too long
will help ...like stated in the previous Posts

without actually seeing in person
how much at a time you are dressing off the Stones
....the only other possibilty would be just a "Bad" diamond dresser tool
that the diamond was'nt attached well enough

4 or 5 years ago....i had 1 Diamond Tool do that to me also
after that happened i backed-off on how much i was dressing per cut,
started taking it easy.

1 Diamond lost in 36 years ain't too bad :)
maxracesoftware

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 am

106-1194218389

Postby blaktopr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm going to stick with this way then. But has there been any relationship to age and or supplier in regards to the dresser? What I mean is, when I get a new one, am I looking anywhere for it or is there a cirtain supplier that mat have more of a "quality" product. John, you are one up on me, old man... :D

Chris
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Chris I would go through Goodson A couple dollars more than others but quality products service and someone you can go to if you have an issue that stands behind their products. They also have good tech help you might ask them before you order another.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks Rick. I'll have to call. I didn't see it on the website. I'll check again.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Chris,

Their tech people have allways helped me.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 pm

I was going to suggest Goodson also. Rick has hit it on the head. I did buy some bargain basement ones one time and they did not last. They acted like the diamond was glued in with Elmer's Glue.

btw I'll be 60 in June. I still think and feel really young, that is until I try to do anything. :D

I started racing, or should I say hanging around guys that raced when I was 14. Built my first engine, an old 235 Chevy six then. I started porting the head with an electric drill and I had 2 stones. I wore the drill and stones out after two cylinders and that is as far as that head got ported. I ran it like that.

John
106-1194218389

Postby blaktopr » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I found it Rick. I stumbled on the PDF full catalog. They have so much more than I thought. Looks like I will be getting another diamond and valve refacing fluid from them. Plus, I read the tech tip they had with dressing stones. Exactly what John first mentioned to me. Few, light cuts, pause, cool with air, etc.
Thanks guys,

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:30 pm

Sorry John, I interpreted that post wrong. I'm a dope, and a snot nosed kid at 35. :p

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 106-1194218389 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:27 pm

106-1194218389

Postby racehead-1 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:33 am

I have a Sioux valve grinding machine with the number 645 serial number 2161. The chuck that came with it grindes the valves with more runout then what I wanted so the original chuck was taken out, to my surprise the mainshft is not tappered. My idea was to put an ER or DA chuck at the end of the shaft. The diameter of the main shaft where the ER colett would go is 28.80 millimeters. Has anybody done this conversion.
racehead-1

Next

Return to Other DIY shop equipment